Is this a chicken instinct? Or something else?

ks6chicks

Chirping
Jul 7, 2018
SE Kansas
I moved my chicken brooder to the chicken coop and let them play in their chicken yard during the day. I have a video baby monitor out there so I can make sure they’re okay at night. They’re five weeks old. Last night, I was outside, they were too because I was waiting until the coop cooled off a bit more. Well, it was getting to be dusk, but still pretty bright and they all started cheeping frantically. I had no idea what the problem was. They had food, water, it was cooler outside than it had been earlier. So I went to the coop and called them through their chicken door and one by one they walked in. They were still cheeping, but not as frantically. I thought it would be a while before they went to their coop so easily at bedtime, so is that just their instinct? Is that why they were freaking out? They only other time they get like that is when one chick has something the other chicks want.

I was outside, and it wasn’t late enough for the nocturnal predators we have around here.

Last edited:
My guess is they were chirping because they felt lost and didn't know quite what to do. And yes, they know to seek protection when the sun sets, usually earlier. You probably reassured them by calling them, and once they got to their familiar surroundings they likely calmed down some more because they felt safe. Chickens are creatures of habit-- it takes them a while to adjust to new things or a new schedule, and they can panic when those things happen.

My guess is they were chirping because they felt lost and didn't know quite what to do. And yes, they know to seek protection when the sun sets, usually earlier. You probably reassured them by calling them, and once they got to their familiar surroundings they likely calmed down some more because they felt safe. Chickens are creatures of habit-- it takes them a while to adjust to new things or a new schedule, and they can panic when those things happen.

Thanks. I was pretty proud of them for coming when I called them.

Back
Top Bottom