is this a chocolate?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Guccibirds423, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Guccibirds423

Guccibirds423 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So I acquired these birds the other day. They look like Chocolate duck wings. The color is more pronounced than in the picture. Its a rich brown. and sorta lacing on the breast but not a lot. as you can see on the back its chocolate, red, and yellow. The hen looks just like a silver duck wing hen but the back is more brown chocolate blue color. Can you help me figure out what they are? The guy i got them from said they was OEGB. he said the rooster was a BBR and the hen was a silver duck wing. But they look so much like chocolate to me.. I have a trio of them! Hope I got something good for what I paid for them!

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    They are OEGB, but they are not chocolate. They seem very mixed to me. They are definitey not chocoloate (the rooster would be much darker, and not have a white head). If I were pressed to identify the breeding aim of their previous owner, I'd say that the person was trying to create a Fawn line.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the roo is a color mixed oegb and the hen does appear to be silver duckwingish but looks to have other colors in the mix though

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I disagree. Chocolate in Old English is a variety created with the dun gene, and a chocolate silver duckwing would have the silver head. However, there are definitely other pattern things going on. Silver duckwing seems to usually lighten the chocolate colour far more than this. A couple of questions to ask are how long since they molted, and have they been in a lot of sun.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Here is a Dun Duckwing (chocolate duckwing) Old English Game Bantam,
    (not my bird)
    [​IMG]

Chris

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Nice example! In the OP's bird the chocolate colouring appears about right; but the patterning is way off.

7. Guccibirds423

The color is exactly like that in the picture of the dun. The pattern is WAY WAY off. They just got done molting. These birds are almost a year old. and they dont get a lot of sun as its been kinda cold and wet lately here and their cage is completely covered besides the front.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    New feathers and so significant sun means that they aren't bleached; they are the colour you see. Breeding would tell you if they are dun or choc, but I'd expect dun unless they were from a deliberate attempt to breed in choc, and you would have been told that.

To clean up their appearance, breed to the best quality silver duckwings you can get. It will probably take a few generations to breed out the excess patterning.

9. Guccibirds423

The lady I got them from. Idk if she would know if they was chocolate or not. She just had a bunch of chickens in a pen together that people have gave her over the years. some one gaves these to her and she gave them to me. I have a few pullets *** well that are white with the chocolate color spotting on them. I am not sure. So I need to find someone with silver duck wings!

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I think that the OP's birds may have a few colors mixed in there, at the base of the tail on the rooster (pic 1) I can see some Blue and looks like the hen might be a off Blue also.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by