Is This A Cuckoo Maran Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Featherland, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I have a bunch of sexed Cuckoo Maran pullets and this one is feathering out differently than the others.
    It is very hen like in its behavior, not high ranking or low ranking. Its comb is like all the others.
    They are 2 weeks old. Is this cockerel feathering, another breed, or just strange?
    If anyone has any pics they could post of a Cuckoo Maran cockerel for comparison I would be appreciative!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    lol lookit that little guy trying to get away with being a female. I would be shocked if this wasn't a roo, he's even sporting the little stub-tail that a lot of little roos have.

3. Featherland

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Actually its tail is the same length or longer than most of the others. In the picture it is holding it down.

Behavior wise I would have a hard time believing it is a rooster.

4. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I don't see anything that indicates it's a rooster. I think maybe it's a cross of Marans and something else.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I don't know how cuckoo coloration compares to barring, but if it was a barred bird I would say definitely rooster.

6. Featherland

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Does anyone think there is any chance it is not a rooster?

If I could see a pic of a young cuckoo maran cockerel to compare.....

7. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    The cuckoo cockerels are usually lighter than the pullets, in most breeds with that color.
    Wait a few more weeks, and see what happens.

8. ChaoticCritters

ChaoticCritters Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    There's a picture of my suspicious Cuckoo Maran rooster along with a presumed female a few threads down. They're about 5-6 weeks old.

9. Featherland

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Wow, they look exactly alike as chicks but now you can tell one is definitely a cockerel.

Did it have aggressive rooster behavior as a chick? How old was it when you realized it was probably a cockerel?

10. ChaoticCritters

ChaoticCritters Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    They're about 5-6 weeks old I'd guess? They weren't day old chicks when I got them, I think they'd been at the feed store a while.

I noticed yesterday that they were definitely different. I am unsure if it was evident before then or not, my kids take care of them so I haven't had much to do with them. I was doing my usual glance in the box to make sure kids were keeping it clean and food/water filled and went "Uh oh... I think we have a rooster!"

Neither of them is friendly. From day one they have been really clear that they do not want you to touch them and aren't thrilled with you looking in their box. They aren't mean, just really shrieky and if one escapes, plan on chasing it for 20 minutes. They're just really different than the rest of our chickens which follow me all over our property and enjoy being picked up and held.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by