Is This A Cuckoo Maran Pullet?

Featherland

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
Missouri
I have a bunch of sexed Cuckoo Maran pullets and this one is feathering out differently than the others.
It is very hen like in its behavior, not high ranking or low ranking. Its comb is like all the others.
They are 2 weeks old. Is this cockerel feathering, another breed, or just strange?
If anyone has any pics they could post of a Cuckoo Maran cockerel for comparison I would be appreciative!

Last edited:
lol lookit that little guy trying to get away with being a female. I would be shocked if this wasn't a roo, he's even sporting the little stub-tail that a lot of little roos have.

Actually its tail is the same length or longer than most of the others. In the picture it is holding it down.

Behavior wise I would have a hard time believing it is a rooster.

I don't see anything that indicates it's a rooster. I think maybe it's a cross of Marans and something else.

Last edited:
Does anyone think there is any chance it is not a rooster?

If I could see a pic of a young cuckoo maran cockerel to compare.....

The cuckoo cockerels are usually lighter than the pullets, in most breeds with that color.
Wait a few more weeks, and see what happens.

There's a picture of my suspicious Cuckoo Maran rooster along with a presumed female a few threads down. They're about 5-6 weeks old.

There's a picture of my suspicious Cuckoo Maran rooster along with a presumed female a few threads down. They're about 5-6 weeks old.

Wow, they look exactly alike as chicks but now you can tell one is definitely a cockerel.

Did it have aggressive rooster behavior as a chick? How old was it when you realized it was probably a cockerel?

They're about 5-6 weeks old I'd guess? They weren't day old chicks when I got them, I think they'd been at the feed store a while.

I noticed yesterday that they were definitely different. I am unsure if it was evident before then or not, my kids take care of them so I haven't had much to do with them. I was doing my usual glance in the box to make sure kids were keeping it clean and food/water filled and went "Uh oh... I think we have a rooster!"

Neither of them is friendly. From day one they have been really clear that they do not want you to touch them and aren't thrilled with you looking in their box. They aren't mean, just really shrieky and if one escapes, plan on chasing it for 20 minutes. They're just really different than the rest of our chickens which follow me all over our property and enjoy being picked up and held.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom