Is this a female chick?

Feb 9, 2021
Hello everyone! Recently I tried hatching fertile eggs from Whole Foods, three of the four eggs I put developed, but only one became the beautiful fuzzball I have now. Judging by the shape of the chicks wing I am 99% sure it's a girl, could someone please confirm? The chick was born January 4th, and here are some photos from yesterday (January 5th):

IMG_20230104_134050165.jpg
IMG_20230105_133004840.jpg
IMG_20230105_133000895.jpg

Also, does anyone have an idea of what breed she (or he) can be?
Wow, I never knew you could hatch supermarket eggs! It is much too early to tell sex, and wing shape, especially this young doesn't really determine anything. Since it was hatched from a supermarket egg, the chick is probably a white leghorn or other production breed.

Welcome to the BYC and congrats on the baby!! Just an fyi, you may want to him a friend since chickens are flock animals. It's also a great excuse to practice your chicken math:p;)

I had tried hatching some store bought quail eggs a few years back- they didn't make it due to my terrible diy incubator, but it's really amazing to see eggs from the store developing! As for the breed, I agree, it's likely a production breed.
Unfortunately, 2 days is wayyyy to young to tell the gender... the wing feather thingy only works on certain breeds and even then isn't always 100% accurate. Fingers crossed it's a lil lady though!! Keep us updated with pictures as your little one grows!

Wow this is so cool that she was hatched from a grocery store egg! Please keep us updated as she grows, I'm so curious what breed of chicken she will be!

Thank you everyone for your answers! About the breed, I don't think she is a white leghorn as she hatched from a brown egg, not a white one. I am also thinking, can she live with a quail named Edmund when she is older (if I introduced them when she is a bit bigger)?

Back
Top Bottom