Is this a good coop for me? *~EDIT~* new coop!

ChickenPeep

Faith & Feathers
11 Years
May 1, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Last edited:
Well, if you're going for a goal of 4 sq ft per chicken, the you'd want a coop about 28 sq ft. How big is the run going to be and will they free range at all? Do you have bad weather when they will be stuck in the coop during the day at all?

Doesn't look like much ventilation in that coop. Also, I read it to say the coop was 31" by 21"--that's less than three feet by two feet. Maybe it's a one-bird coop.

It's super cute, but a little too small and maybe not a great quality? They mention it will need a few more coats of weather sealer and more screws...that would make me nervous about it's quality.

So cute though, I really like the design.

Yikes, just looked at it again and agree that it's only 31x20 (last picture all the way at the bottom shows the interior dimensions. I wouldn't keep more than 2 in there.
sad.png

Last edited:
I have a fir coop and I keep it in the garage for sick and baby birds. It would not do well in the elements. I would not get that coop unless you plan on keeping it out of the weather.
smile.png

According to my math, it's just a touch over 4.5sf. Correct me if I'm wrong... 31"X21"=651 sq in. divide that by 144(1 sq ft) you get 4.5 sq ft. Not nearly big enough for the 6 hens that it advertises. 2 hens max if you have a decent run and good weather year round.

Back
Top Bottom