Is This A Good Deal????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dlfridie, Sep 22, 2009.

1. dlfridie

dlfridie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Is this a good deal for a chicken coop?
    What questions should I ask about construction/materials?
    Will it be difficult for me to get inside to clean?
    He said he could remove the porch and the roof shingles thereby lowering the price a little. Then I could just waterseal the roof.
    I don't know if that's a good idea.

I was thinking maybe he could widen it a foot or lengthen it to the end of the porch. Maybe it's 4' wide because that's how wood planks are made, or maybe it's a pallet base.

*I have 2 pet chickens and may get 2 more in the future. I want it to be very roomy.

http://augusta.craigslist.org/bab/1381916270.html

2. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    I dont see why you cant you couldnt get in to clean, and I love that top part I would put roost up there!...take it, take it....that would be gorgeous!!!

Also use deep litter...and I wouldnt let him touch it...I would be afraid that in doing that he might do something to cause a hole in it...causing problems that can cost more to fix

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  3. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I would get it....

4. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    That is a freaking sweet deal! I bet you will have the cutest coop in the county! [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think it's a good deal (especially if they will deliver)!! And it would be perfect for 4 chickens. It sounds like the actual enclosed areas is 4 x 4, with 2 x 4 for the porch??? You could do a pop door in the porch area...chickies have a little outdoor sheltered area. If you're handy, once you have it, if the "kid" door doesn't allow easy access for cleaning, you could cut a large panel in the back and hinge it for that purpose. Looks like it's a simple structure, so it should be easy to modify for your needs.

6. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I think it would make a great coop BUT...

1: DO NOT LET HIM REMOVE THE SHINGLES!!!!!! (I'm stressing that - NOT yelling [​IMG]) if he takes the shingles off, which should be put on there with roofing nails (or some people use staples), you'll have holes in the wood. Sealing it with something like thompsons wouldn't halp that.

2: I'd leave it just the way it is! It's very cute, and 4 little girls would LOVE that house!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3: You MUST show us pics when you get it [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    It's way too cool, GET IT!!
    You could frame in another door on the front of the porch and put wire around the whole porch to give them more "safe" space. Unless you are putting the whole coop into a run - I forget, did you say that?

8. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Get it, as-is! Looks like an awesome deal!

9. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    That is a great deal. I bought a kit at Sams for around $300 and had to do the work. I put mine on legs because it makes it much easier to clean. There are before and after pictures. Maybe your seller could cut a hatch hole under the window Or replace the window with a wider access to the inside. All you need to do is rake it out through the hatch. I put down linoleum with rubber backing with the backing up for better grip for the birds. All I do is lift is out scour and put it back in. Works great. The one I bought has an opening that should have gone under the porch, I made a mistake and put the wrong side there so I just made a door and attached it. I use it for clean out also My windows are screen that I put in there and they don't open. I put up plastic sheeting and use the shutters to keep out the rain.

[​IMG]
    This is the after picutre from the opposite side. It does not look all fancy but it work great. Below is a bifferent angle
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the before picture

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  10. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    it's adorable the way it is.. and perfect for a few chickens.. leave it the way it is and get it fast before its gone..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by