Is this a good feed for quail?...

I'm feeding game bird starter crumbles & my Bob's are around 12 weeks . I'm wanting eggs do I need to put them on laying crumbles say 20 % are let them continue with GBS. The GBS I have is 28 %. Thanks 7L.

Im interested in learing more about feeding proper portion/protine, ect. also. Currently, I have my feed special made at co-op. It has soybeans, peas, wheat, oats and other stuff. THe birds seem to ALMOST get 'to plump' on it, but they are laying up a storm, even in this blessed heat. Any additional info would be great. This is my first year raising Jumbos, so help and guidance would be most appreciated.
ETA: They also get a ton of fresh garden veggies along w/regular diet. They seem to really like it, so I assume it's doing them some good?

Misti

Last edited:
looks ok.
hmm.png

Quote:
Im gonna defer to JJ, Dr. Randall or 2crows on this one for sure, they all raise bobs. would think that the 28% would be better, if worried about calcium, also take advice from QuailLady and others, who know Birds, Quail and Egg production- and offer em up some oyster shell, they will eat it if they need it.

There are also theories on lowering protein after awhile, but this may have to be weighed against the fact not everyone/Mill uses the same ingredients in their feed, incomplete proteins can amount for a 90% feed, but without just one essential amino acid, muscle tissue will not be synthesized. I would think muscle tissue synthesis follows similar guidelines for all natures species, but again, defer to the poultry experts.

I do understand Bobs are seasonal layers and may not lay "this" year for you, not exactly sure when they reach sexual maturity? again JJ, Randall, 2Crows are the folks I would fill my cup from...I have several 4-5 week old bobs I will try and keep over winter to see what happens next spring?

gonna have to take a look at the Almanac to figure out Daylight hours, as I "think" the egg laying cycle is dictated by pupil response to light... thoughts? in a nice discussable way...

interested to learn what you find works for you in the palace you built your birds!

good luck!

Quote:
Im gonna defer to JJ, Dr. Randall or 2crows on this one for sure, they all raise bobs. would think that the 28% would be better, if worried about calcium, also take advice from QuailLady and others, who know Birds, Quail and Egg production- and offer em up some oyster shell, they will eat it if they need it.

There are also theories on lowering protein after awhile, but this may have to be weighed against the fact not everyone/Mill uses the same ingredients in their feed, incomplete proteins can amount for a 90% feed, but without just one essential amino acid, muscle tissue will not be synthesized. I would think muscle tissue synthesis follows similar guidelines for all natures species, but again, defer to the poultry experts.

I do understand Bobs are seasonal layers and may not lay "this" year for you, not exactly sure when they reach sexual maturity? again JJ, Randall, 2Crows are the folks I would fill my cup from...I have several 4-5 week old bobs I will try and keep over winter to see what happens next spring?

gonna have to take a look at the Almanac to figure out Daylight hours, as I "think" the egg laying cycle is dictated by pupil response to light... thoughts? in a nice discussable way...

interested to learn what you find works for you in the palace you built your birds!

good luck!

Hey thanks for the response my Bob's seem to be fine even with the extreme heat wave we are in. The deck I built above their pen has really paid off. I'm with you not sure if my birds will lay this year are not time will tell. If not I might sell some for the feed cost & when they start laying sell the rest & start over with at least a 100 birds maybe 125.

Back
Top Bottom