Is this a good idea?

Dawggy Stile

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 7, 2010
Ohio
Nov 16th were getting 6 chicks.. Jan 10 they will be 8 weeks old and ready to go outside.
Is it a good idea if I move the coop into the garage to keep the young chickens out of the harsh winter draft and snow?
I was thinking of supplementing their light with a shop light hanging over the open part of the coop and kept on for 14 hrs, and a old piece of carpeting with hay on the concrete to keep the floor somewhat warmer.
Thank you for any replies!

Questions as these require a "laundry list" of Q'n'A, in order to give a suitable answer.

Need to know the time tables for estimated temperatures.

Is the coop well insulated?

The breed of the bird plays a huge part as well: how fast they grow, how hardy are they in cold weather, etc.

There are other variables; but alas, I'm no expert
tongue.png

If you have a good size brooder box you just need a heat lamp to keep them warm. Keeping your chicks out of drafts is a good thing. Put plenty of pine shavings on the floor for them. This will help them keep warm and out of the poop. I put my feeder and waterer on decent size piece of wood to keep the savings out of the feeder and the water. You need the light because the chicks don't create enough body heat to keep themselves warm.

I hope this helps.

The two breeds were getting are Golden Buff, their cold tolerant. Barred Plymouth Rock which they are very cold hardy.
The coop isnt insulated at all. It's a 4x8 area with a coop built in half of it.
The chicks will be in a brooder box in the house under a heat lamp till they feather, which I hope will be in 8 weeks.
The average temps for where Im at in Ohio is Dec. - 38 high, 24 low and Jan. 34 high and 17 low.
Im mostly concerned about their lighting needs. When they go to the coop, I plan on hanging the heat lamp in their also. But they need up to 14 hours of sunlight right? Thats what I was going to use the hanging shop light for... just so they don't spend a couple months in a dark garage before the weather breaks.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom