Is this a good idea

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by handrosilva239, Sep 22, 2014.

1. handrosilva239

handrosilva239 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    Fort myers FL
    Im letting my cornish rocks free range at one week. But during the night i lock them up until morning. Is this a good idea any better suggestions.?

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I don't know if they'd get too far but as long as they can get to food and water easy it should be fine

3. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Plenty of people free range them - you're probably going to have to take away their food though... they won't go anywhere if there's food sitting around.

4. bhanley

bhanley Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2014
    Princeton, Ontario
    I'm free ranging mine and although I do bring out their trough and fill it in the morning, they eat for 10 minutes and then are off foraging for the rest of the day. As sundown approaches, I bring their trough back inside and fill it. This helps bring in the stubborn ones that want to stay outside.

My birds are strong and vibrant, and I haven't had any issues what-so-ever that are "common" with this breed. I did lose one chick (of the 21 I brought home) at day 3 but the rest are in great shape at 5 weeks, 3 days old. I am SOOOOO glad I decided to free range as opposed to "cooping" them up in a tractor and if you have the outdoor space, I highly recommend free ranging.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by