Is this a lash egg

Oolala

Songster
Jun 29, 2017
France
I found this in Blodwyns poo this morning, is it a lash egg ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 40
I found this in Blodwyns poo this morning, is it a lash egg ?
Have just pulled it apart and it was gritty and then discoved it was just the membrane of an egg which must have broken inside her, no blood, her poo lately has had what looked jelly like, if this is all it is I hope she is now on the mend

It does look like a collapsed egg shell. There may be lash material attached, I can't really tell.
Do your birds have access to oyster shell for calcium all the time? If you can give her some calcium citrate daily for a couple of days that helps with contractions and may help her expel any remaining egg, if there is any. Sometimes when this happens there can be two eggs in the pipe so to speak, the second one gets delayed behind the first. Laying something like this can make them feel pretty bad, it's hard to pass, so hopefully she will perk up if it's all expelled now.

This is what it looked like

Agree with you and @coach723 - whenever there's the gritty feel it means she could be low on calcium- if it had come out as an egg it probably would have been a "rubber" or "jelly" egg if it stayed intact on impact. Depending on the hen, she may well internally 'clean up' whatever oozed out - if her vent and tail feathers were grubby that would be a good sign that some of the contents worked their way out.

I've had a couple of these where the hen continued to lay regularly. The hard part is knowing what happened to the rest of it- because chickens have no diaphragm separating their reproductive organs from everything else, when an egg breaks it goes everywhere in the abdomen. You may want to examine her internally (lubricated finger) to ensure all of it has come out. If she's otherwise bright eyed and bushy tailed and acting normally, hopefully this is a blip she overcomes.

As for the green jelly poo, usually when you get poo that color it means the hen has been off-feed. Tempting treats like scrambled egg (dosed with the calcium) can get things moving again, or adding warm water to her normal food. They tend to not be very comfortable when they've got that kind of thing hanging out so the green jelly poo isn't too big of a surprise. Now that it's out hopefully she'll get back to eating normally.

It does look like a collapsed egg shell. There may be lash material attached, I can't really tell.
Do your birds have access to oyster shell for calcium all the time? If you can give her some calcium citrate daily for a couple of days that helps with contractions and may help her expel any remaining egg, if there is any. Sometimes when this happens there can be two eggs in the pipe so to speak, the second one gets delayed behind the first. Laying something like this can make them feel pretty bad, it's hard to pass, so hopefully she will perk up if it's all expelled now.
Thank you for replying, it gives me a bit of hope. I scatter oyster shell regularly in their run and near where I put their grain plus all the gravel from scratching the chippings in my drive. Before she laid this for the last month I would say she has been laying the occasional soft shell eggs, then I have found some broken in the morning then the other day her poo was covered in just egg white, then watery poo for a few days then the above so hopefully it is all out of her. She is showing interest in scratching about again, eating some grass and this morning she had some weetabix mixed with yogurt and I put some omega 3 fish oil in too. I have also put some antibiotic powder in water which she is drinking in case there is any infection after passing the egg. I am just guessing at the moment and trying to cover it from all angles

Thank you for replying, it gives me a bit of hope. I scatter oyster shell regularly in their run and near where I put their grain plus all the gravel from scratching the chippings in my drive. Before she laid this for the last month I would say she has been laying the occasional soft shell eggs, then I have found some broken in the morning then the other day her poo was covered in just egg white, then watery poo for a few days then the above so hopefully it is all out of her. She is showing interest in scratching about again, eating some grass and this morning she had some weetabix mixed with yogurt and I put some omega 3 fish oil in too. I have also put some antibiotic powder in water which she is drinking in case there is any infection after passing the egg. I am just guessing at the moment and trying to cover it from all angles
I found this again this morning, am now going to cut it open to see what is inside, no shell this time, all soft stuff

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 19
I found this again this morning, am now going to cut it open to see what is inside, no shell this time, all soft stuff

Yes, that's definitely a lash egg, though on the smaller side. The best hope is she continues to expel the material. If you can add some liquid calcium for her specifically that might help get the muscles to contract and keep spitting up the material. Long term these aren't good news. But, some hens manage to live relatively normal eggs despite the reproductive issue.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

Back
Top Bottom