Is this a male duck?

She is about 3 to 4 months old. The white one became full grown a month ago but the had feathers when I got her.

Last question(s)
Will they lay eggs without a male, and if I keep taking them will they keep laying?

I think it looks more like a mallard and if its 3 months old, it could still very well be a male.

If its two females, they will still lay eggs and they will keep laying until they want to stop even if you take the eggs.

And to think it was February of this year that all I knew about Ducks and chickens is how to pick them out in the meat Dept!
Basically I got them for pest control and there doing better than any chemical. I will give him/her a few months.

Actually it looks just like my 2 mallards that are close in age. I am pretty sure mine are males since the females don't have the blue feathers that mine are getting on the bottoms of their wings. It looks as though yours may have them as well. At least your main purose is pest control, so it isn't a big deal. Mine were meant for eggs, so now I'm just hoping my crested is a female. Did you get him/her locally?

mallard females get blue wing tips ive only had ducks a few months and know this without some1 telling me the males will get a white ring around there neck at 2monthish (wasnt keeping track of time) and there heads will turn green when older but i can say with 100% certanty that is a female mallard

Wow, that's good to know, so I may not have 2 boys after all. I had originally thought one was a male and one a female just based on size & demeanor, so this is great news! Mine are about 2 months and I haven't seen any signs of a ring around the neck, but I'll keep watching.

-A

Back
Top Bottom