Is this a New Hampshire?

poussin_noir

Songster
11 Years
May 21, 2008
Katrine, Ontario
I got 2 different looking chicks in my order of RIR's.
Is she just a poor quality RIR regarding color? The others RIR's are noticeably darker, she is more of an orangey buff color.
The hatchery I got them from also has New Hampshire crosses available, is common for hatcheries to give you different chicks then what you ordered?
Just wondering what your opinions are on her breed.

DSCF6148.jpg

DSCF6146.jpg

DSCF6147.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Yours looks to be more bright orange in the neck feathers then mine, but have also noticed black in the hackles and tail in mine.
Does a Production Red type mean it is an RIR? I am confused what a production Red really is.

It depends on the hatchery. Some of them sell Production Reds as Rhode Islands. They are a cross between RIR and New Hampshire Reds I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though! From the pictures I've seen they are usually lighter than true RIRs.

Ha! You all beat me to it!

Nope..not a NHR. She is too light colored and the body does not look the same. Maybe a production red. NHRs are darker red. Yours is a pretty girl though. This is my NHR at various ages:

11 days old:

HPIM2367Small.jpg

5 weeks old:

HPIM2608Small.jpg

14 weeks old:

HPIM3138Small.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
That is interesting.... I thought a RIR was a RIR.
So far I have just this one sticks out color wise, the rest of my pullets are darker type, thats why I thought she was a different breed.

The rest of the pullets look more like this. I guess she will be the odd one out.
DSCF6174.jpg

Quote:
That's what I thought too until someone else mentioned hatcheries sometimes cross breed the two reds to increase egg production thus creating the production reds. I much prefer the purer look of straight RIRs. They are such a nice dark color. Not that the golden ones aren't pretty too, I'm just wanting different looking chickens than I grew up with. We had the standard brownish/red chickens that laid a ton of eggs. I'm still trying to figure out if we had New Hampshires or not. I'm not sure they were being crossed yet.

Thanks SpeckledHen, I thought NHR were supposed to be lighter than RIR, so the production reds should be somewhere in between if they are in fact crosses of the two right?

Back
Top Bottom