Is this a normal first egg?

mommab85

Chirping
Jun 5, 2023
My olive egger (18 weeks old) just laid her first egg and it looks like this. What’s wrong or is this normal for a first timer? I am going to include more calcium from now on also.

Attachments

• IMG_1894.jpeg
    IMG_1894.jpeg
    741.4 KB · Views: 160
My olive egger (18 weeks old) just laid her first egg and it looks like this. What’s wrong or is this normal for a first timer? I am going to include more calcium from now on also.
Could be a first time layer glitch. Provide oyster shell on the side to up the calcium. What are you feeding them?

Could be a first time layer glitch. Provide oyster shell on the side to up the calcium. What are you feeding them?
Kalmbach feeds Henhouse Reserve. What’s your opinion on that as I’m very new to all of this? I do not have oyster shells but I’m picking some up today.

Kalmbach feeds Henhouse Reserve. What’s your opinion on that as I’m very new to all of this? I do not have oyster shells but I’m picking some up today.
I know nothing about that feed but Kalmbach is supposed to be a good company. Is it for laying hens and what's the protein and calcium levels in it? Oyster shell on the side is always a good idea. Whoever wants them can go eat them

I know nothing about that feed but Kalmbach is supposed to be a good company. Is it for laying hens and what's the protein and calcium levels in it? Oyster shell on the side is always a good idea. Whoever wants them can go eat them
The protein is 17% and calcium is max 4.5% min 3.5%. Does that sound acceptable or should I look for something more?

The protein is 17% and calcium is max 4.5% min 3.5%. Does that sound acceptable or should I look for something more?
The calcium is on par with any other layer type feed. I would like to see more protein, but 17% is acceptable. This is most likely a new layer glitch. Agreeing with Tripletfeb, adding oyster shell is still a good idea.

That sounds good, higher protein would be nice but 17% is still good. Just add the oyster shell on the side. All should be well

The calcium is on par with any other layer type feed. I would like to see more protein, but 17% is acceptable. This is most likely a new layer glitch. Agreeing with Tripletfeb, adding oyster shell is still a good idea.
Thank you! I appreciate all the input I can get. I’ll see if I can find something with a higher protein content.

Back
Top Bottom