Is this a Partridge Cochin?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TooManyChickies, Apr 25, 2011.

1. TooManyChickies

TooManyChickies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got this bird as my free mystery chick from Murray McMurray. I am thinking it is a partride cochin, but am not quite sure. Its reddish with a dark stripe down its back and has a light colored belly. What do you think?

2. Firefly89

Firefly89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Edmond
    Partridge Cochin or brahma?

3. sparklechicken

sparklechicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    Creston, Ca
    I recently got a partridge cochin from mypetchicken and she was chocolate brown all over, getting a little lighter toward the belly. She didn't have a stripe, but was darkest along the spine. She looked almost exactly like your chickI remember she reminded me of a little mini bear cub!

4. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Are those feathered feet? With that coloration, if the feet are feathered, then it's likely a cochin. Certainly could be partridge; I've seen some variation in the color, but they tend to be a pretty mink brown down the back of the head and middle of the back, and a mixture of shades of brown over the rest of the body with some yellow mottled in. There are lighter-colored chicks and darker-colored ones, but they all tend to feather in the same.

I love our cochins (ours are bantams). They're fantastic broodies and have such friendly, charming personalities.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes.

If you want to make absolute sure - Look at its comb. sawtooth edge - Cochin. Little lumps - Brahma. But, Partridge Brahmas are not available commercially so it's a Cochin.

6. TooManyChickies

TooManyChickies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Yup, those are feathered feet! Thanks for your response!

7. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    Could also be a Gold-Laced Cochin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by