Is this a Pekin or not?

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
I got 6 Pekins from my local TSC 3 weeks ago, when they were one day old. I was pretty sure they were all Pekins, because they all looked the same. But now, one of them is half the size, is starting to quack, and has light tan feathers, where as the others are huge, peep, and have white feathers coming in. Well, what feathers she HAS are tan anyway. she has a stumpy little tail, some wing feathers, and a pokey chest so far. :)
Here are some pictures, not a good look at her feathers though. Tell me if you want an up close of her feathers.

I'm not sure which one she is....but you can see they all look pretty much the same! (Here they are 1 day.)

This is her. (Cuddling with her buddy, because she is secluded due to a leg injury.

You can tell how that she (front) is a lot smaller then the Pekin (Back),

What do you think?

I got 6 Pekins from my local TSC 3 weeks ago, when they were one day old. I was pretty sure they were all Pekins, because they all looked the same. But now, one of them is half the size, is starting to quack, and has light tan feathers, where as the others are huge, peep, and have white feathers coming in. Well, what feathers she HAS are tan anyway. she has a stumpy little tail, some wing feathers, and a pokey chest so far. :)
Here are some pictures, not a good look at her feathers though. Tell me if you want an up close of her feathers.

I'm not sure which one she is....but you can see they all look pretty much the same! (Here they are 1 day.)

This is her. (Cuddling with her buddy, because she is secluded due to a leg injury.

You can tell how that she (front) is a lot smaller then the Pekin (Back),

What do you think?
Maybe she is Buff it will be interesting to see once she feathers in. sure is pretty though both of them.

That duck is not a pekin. Miss Lydia brings a good point that it could be a buff and I also wonder if it could be runner too. (Those can come in Buff too)

hmmm...

i'd have to dig through my pics... odd.. i own buffs and Pekin(amongst a few more lol) and yeah i am seeing some buff like ness.. okay bad English lol odd. Either way cute as a button, you'll get an answer as she matures.

Ya know, she does stand farther on her haunches then the rest do- I thought it might be because of her leg injury, but maybe she is a runner! When I got them I thought all of their yellow ducklings were Pekins, but now that I think about it that might not be true....not sure what other breeds though. Excuse me as I go inspect all of my ducklings!! ;)

Last edited:
Ya know, she does stand farther on her haunches then the rest do- I thought it might be because of her leg injury, but maybe she is a runner! When I got them I thought all of their yellow ducklings were Pekins, but now that I think about it that might not be true....not sure what other breeds though. Excuse me as I go inspect all of my ducklings!!
wink.png
Her bill also makes me think Runner. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom