Is this a problem?

akostka1988

Chirping
May 15, 2020
Alton, ME
M’y flock is now down to 3 hens and a rooster i used to have a male guinea who basically kept my rooster in check but a Fox got him a couple weeks ago. Holy personality change! The rooster now hops on whichever hen is closest whenever the mood strikes (a little too frequently if you ask me!) and he’s been starting to attempt to bully me...pecked at my hand when I attempted to get bedding out of their food bowl, flaps his wings at me, charges me, etc. Now I worry his sexual urgency is affecting the hens particularly my lace wing she’s got a bald spot on her back from where his feet grab her to do the deed. What can I do? Do I need to worry about her health? He hasn’t broken skin but it is quite red and raw looking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 12
Yes get the saddles. They are also generally adorable. Roosters get more frisky and agreesive in the spring much like Tom turkeys. This may draw ire from some but when he charges you teach him a good lesson. You can’t enjoy chickens if you have a rooster flogging you. Don’t damage him obviously, but make him think better of it. My first response when they charge me is to try to catch it and hold it until calms some but for way longer than it wants to be held. That’s a memorable thing for froggy rooster. If he doesn’t settle soon then I suggest rehome or stew pot. Life is too short for crappy mean roosters. 😉

That is completely normal. Usually the feathers grow back fast.

If you are really worried, get her a chicken saddle.

And/or get more hens to even out the ratio

3 hens for your rooster is not enough. Most people recommend at least 8 hens per roo to help with this. Saddles will help.
I had a flock of 12 just last year but the predators were brutal 😔 in fact there’s this one fox in particular since the nicer weather hit who’s been all over my flock lately I haven’t been able to let them free range. Turns out the guy on the other side of the refuge i live on moved so now I’m the main target. I plan on adding to the flock now that the weather is nicer though.

Yes get the saddles. They are also generally adorable. Roosters get more frisky and agreesive in the spring much like Tom turkeys. This may draw ire from some but when he charges you teach him a good lesson. You can’t enjoy chickens if you have a rooster flogging you. Don’t damage him obviously, but make him think better of it. My first response when they charge me is to try to catch it and hold it until calms some but for way longer than it wants to be held. That’s a memorable thing for froggy rooster. If he doesn’t settle soon then I suggest rehome or stew pot. Life is too short for crappy mean roosters. 😉
The first time he pecked me I don’t know what possessed me but I bitch slapped him 🤣🤣 he hasn’t tried pecking me since but the charging has increased 😬

Back
Top Bottom