Is this a problem?

FlemingFarms

Chirping
Nov 17, 2021
Hi everyone!
I'm new to chickens (my first flock, 10 hens born in June). They are doing great. The coop is actually an entire shed (they get locked up at night) and a fenced in yard area. The problem is my neighbor has a rooster who has figured out how to get through the fence and keeps getting in my chicken yard and/or enticing the girls to escape. They never go far but corralling them is annoying. I didn't want a rooster. I don't have a rooster. This rooster is relentless and I feel I'm fighting a losing battle chasing him home CONSTANTLY. Should I be worried? He doesn't seem aggressive but I'm quite sure he's got his eye on one gal in particular and she seems thrilled with it. :lol: I guess I don't mind adding a little extra food (the neighbors are notorious for... letting their animals fend for themselves) but I'm worried about my girls. Yesterday they were up in the rafters of the coop and he was in the yard. Any advice?

Hi everyone!
I'm new to chickens (my first flock, 10 hens born in June). They are doing great. The coop is actually an entire shed (they get locked up at night) and a fenced in yard area. The problem is my neighbor has a rooster who has figured out how to get through the fence and keeps getting in my chicken yard and/or enticing the girls to escape. They never go far but corralling them is annoying. I didn't want a rooster. I don't have a rooster. This rooster is relentless and I feel I'm fighting a losing battle chasing him home CONSTANTLY. Should I be worried? He doesn't seem aggressive but I'm quite sure he's got his eye on one gal in particular and she seems thrilled with it. :lol: I guess I don't mind adding a little extra food (the neighbors are notorious for... letting their animals fend for themselves) but I'm worried about my girls. Yesterday they were up in the rafters of the coop and he was in the yard. Any advice?
My advice would be to talk to your neighbor about it. He's going to keep coming by because of your girls regardless. Hes just doing what come natural to him. Your neighbor might choose to keep him locked up if hes being a bother

He is going to keep coming over until you say something to them. Feeding him will make it worse. I would probably just accept him as a visitor. As long as the yard is escape proof, then he will not be successful with leading them away. Don't let him start sleeping in or getting into the shed, though - then he will feel ownership. You can try blasting him with the hose, but it has to be consistent for a few days until he gets the message.

Back
Top Bottom