Is this a prolapse or egg bound?

I hope you can save her. Just in case she has an egg trapped, here is a video of how to get an egg out when prolapsed:
These are some pics from this morning 3/9/22 after soaking in water with some Dawn dish soap. I gave her 2 more crushed Tums and applied cortisone, honey and olive oil. I also fed her some thawed frozen peas and zucchini. She ate the peas but apparently is not a fan of zucchini 🤣. I tried to give her water but she wouldn’t drink. There was white “stuff” and feces in her cage this morning. I just wish I knew more about antibiotics. I feel she should be on some oral antibiotics but I don’t know where to get them from or any dosages. I should also get some sort of antibiotic spray.

Attachments

• DD7D66A8-00A9-4972-B068-8B00A0720919.jpeg
    DD7D66A8-00A9-4972-B068-8B00A0720919.jpeg
    436.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 523EF1FF-65F4-4894-ABD0-720A32CAB8B8.jpeg
    523EF1FF-65F4-4894-ABD0-720A32CAB8B8.jpeg
    483.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 3F55409E-F4A5-40A7-86F8-A57FCF9DC31B.jpeg
    3F55409E-F4A5-40A7-86F8-A57FCF9DC31B.jpeg
    431.1 KB · Views: 3
  • CA407D75-3E81-4F29-9924-B27231E027F4.jpeg
    CA407D75-3E81-4F29-9924-B27231E027F4.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
These are some pics from this morning 3/9/22 after soaking in water with some Dawn dish soap. I gave her 2 more crushed Tums and applied cortisone, honey and olive oil. I also fed her some thawed frozen peas and zucchini. She ate the peas but apparently is not a fan of zucchini 🤣. I tried to give her water but she wouldn’t drink. There was white “stuff” and feces in her cage this morning.
What do you normally feed your flock on a daily basis?

Is she eating her crumbled or pelleted feed at all?

What do you normally feed your flock on a daily basis?

Is she eating her crumbled or pelleted feed at all?
I feed them a mix I purchase at a local feed mill. No, I have not been feeding that to her. Many articles I read stated to put her on a “green” diet and limit sunlight to only 8 hours.

She is not getting any better but she did finally drink some water today. She has been eating some of her feed, thawed frozen peas and some cooked egg yolk. I have also been giving her (today and yesterday) a calcium citrate tablet. She continues to stand like a penguin and try to push. As she does this she is making a “groaning” noise. I feel so bad for her. She does have feces coming out. I have been soaking her in warm water bath 1-2 times per day and applying a wound spray, honey and olive oil. Tonight I noticed she is bleeding a little out of the area. Her backend has sort of a cone shape. Is this swelling or possibly an egg stuck? You can sort of see it in the last pics above.

Poor thing! :hugs

Can you feel an egg in there at all? She may be trying to pass one by now since it's been a few days. A hen that has prolapsed or even is somehow injured won't automatically go out of lay, she's going to usually continue producing.

Poor thing! :hugs

Can you feel an egg in there at all? She may be trying to pass one by now since it's been a few days. A hen that has prolapsed or even is somehow injured won't automatically go out of lay, she's going to usually continue producing.
No, I cannot feel anything but I have never experienced anything like this before so I really don’t know. She is eating and drinking but she is still in distress. 😞

The dark area is it hard or pliable tissue?

I'm sure she is distressed (I'm sure you are too) and she's probably getting weaker too. I'm not sure what else you can do for her, but keep the tissue moist. Doesn't look like it's going to push back in anytime soon. Sometimes it takes a while to correct and unfortunately, some cannot be corrected.

Someone else who recently posted a thread, had the dark scab on the end of a prolapse, and it took over a week to finally come off, but they were finally able to push it in and stay. I hope that she continues to eat and drink.

Back
Top Bottom