Is this a prolapsed vent? What do I do?

Salty Cookie

Chirping
Apr 10, 2020
Pumpkin, a three-year-old ISA brown, had a poopy butt and looked dirty, so I brought her in and washed her butt and noticed that she has a prolapsed vent. But it is not like the ones I have seen in pictures on forums. I wonder if it is a prolapsed vent or a tumor?!?! She may have had it for a while and the tip of the prolapsed area is getting dry? She is acting normal otherwise. I have Preparation H and I am thinking of applying it as soon as I find it (I cannot find it in the first aid box but I know it is somewhere in the house!)
I cleaned the area with betadine water and put white sugar, then applied KY jelly as I pushed it back in. It goes back in, but it pops out everytime she poops. She is back in the coop (it is 8pm here) but I am going to just push it in one more time before I close the coop.
Also her belly feels squishy and there is a chance that she has got a water belly... I gave her brewer's yeast and eyebright.
I want to help her but I just don't know how.... Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• pumpkin 1.jpeg
    pumpkin 1.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 69
  • pumpkin 2.jpeg
    pumpkin 2.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 34
Following
I was hoping to hear from people but didn't, but she is better!
I kept her isolated for three days. I kept her butt clean and applied antibiotic ointment (without pain relief), Preparation H and vaseline on the prolapsed area to keep it moist. The dead tissue peeled off. I pushed back in a few times a day and each time I applied the same stuff. Even though I kept her in a dark room in a dog crate to stop her laying eggs, she laid a big egg each day. But she was OK after she laid an egg today. She looks so sad to be isolated, so I let her get back to her flock this afternoon. I will check her several times a day and will apply ointments for one or two more days.

I am glad that she is better, well done!

Sadly, high production hybrids are prone to problems of the reproductive tract such as EYP, salpingitis or cancer. And as they get older the size of their eggs will strech their cloaca to such extent that prolapses occur rather often.

Back
Top Bottom