Is this a purebred Muskovy?

PetesMom

Songster
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Columbia County, NY
Its clearly a female as she is laying eggs.....I thought about grabbing her and keeping her as nobody else really likes her at the barn....she showed up last summer and she hasn't left. I caught her today and she is semi friendly, let me pick her up without a problem at all. But she's REALLY dirty, sort of crusty feeling...maybe its because she's hanging out around the cows?

I might add....I know muskovys have long nails but hers curl around :( is that unhealthy or normal for them?

That sounds a bit long. I have Muscovies and their nails don't curl under. she looks like a true Muscovy, they really do make great pets, if you spend time with her and give her special treats, you'll have a friend for life. My girls and boys eat out of my hand and hang out around us when we're out side, not many ducks like to be held, unless use to it from duckling. Peas are a ducks favorite treat. other than mealworms maybe pete would let her clean up in his pool.
smile.png

Last edited:
That sounds a bit long. I have Muscovies and their nails don't curl under. she looks like a true Muscovy, they really do make great pets, if you spend time with her and give her special treats, you'll have a friend for life. My girls and boys eat out of my hand and hang out around us when we're out side, not many ducks like to be held, unless use to it from duckling. Peas are a ducks favorite treat. other than mealworms maybe pete would let her clean up in his pool.
smile.png
I was actually thinking the same thing.....I mean she appears to be healthy, just dirty :( Probably from walking behind the cows in the barn as she smells like cow poop lol Id hate to see something happen to the poor girl. We have no idea where she came from, just showed up on top of the barn last year and hasn't left

I'd say that's a pure Muscovy.

If you take her home, treat her for mites before you take her onto your property and clip those nails so they aren't curled under. Give her a nice tub of water and she will bathe herself.

How would I clip them? I wouldn't want to clip her quick....her toenails are black :(

I wasn't sure if she was a pure muskovy, I didn't think they came in black and white

How would I clip them? I wouldn't want to clip her quick....her toenails are black :(

I wasn't sure if she was a pure muskovy, I didn't think they came in black and white

Clipping should be fairly easy. Her outer feathers should be a different color which makes easy guidelines for clipping

Do you have styptic powder? If it's the same like with dogs' nails,when their nails have been allowed to get that long,the quick tends to grow out longer than it should be. I might suggest just clipping back to where they should be,use the styptic to clot or if you keep an eye on her & the bleeding isn't very bad she should clot on her own. If she's been out in soft ground in pasture with cows,her nails may have grown long because she had no hard surface to help keep them in check. I'm sure others here know better about that,though.
As for the black & white she looks like my girl! I'm learning just how many different colors these awesome birds can come in!
Gratz on the new girl!

Yes muscovies can be black and white. We had one at the zoo I worked at and he was a wonderful black and white dude. They have many neat colors. I really want a few colored ones as I only have the full white ones at the moment.

I'm definetly bringing her up to where Pete is. I live on a family run farm, not my family but my youngests fathers family (he died in a snowmobile accident dec 12th 09 :'( so we have been living here since then in his parents house) and some of the family members aren't fond of her and one of them are actually now throwing threats that he is going to "get rid of her" because shes always in the way. I am the only one she will let near her so she's coming with me.

I don't have styptic powder but can get some. So I just clip them even if it means going through the quick? Won't it hurt her? Will it make her hate me? I know when we had to catch the two muskovys we just got saturday the male ended up breaking one of his nails and he bled but not too much, he pretty much yanked it off my scraping the ground :( he seems alright. Those two are heading to a friends house, he's been looking for two and they don't seem to be to fond of Pete...I think because they were already a bonded pair?

Back
Top Bottom