Is this a Rhode Island Red?

I think she's a New Hampshire Red, not a Rhode Island Red. Even hatchery production RIRs are darker red than yours. I've had both, and this looks like a New Hampshire Red to me.

edited to add--my RIRs and NHRs were from MMM, also. My MMM RIRs were much darker red than this, but the NHR looked just like this. Can you find out what color she was as a chick? They're very different as chicks.
Do you live in Columbus Ohio Walking on Sunshine?

Did you ever go to the big chicken show in November there? bob

Every chicken and duck and goose in the world is at this show the finest blood lines in the country is there. If you see a picture in a catalog of a chicken and would like to see the best looking ones of this breed this is the place and its free. Its in November second or third weekend of the month. We had the National Rhode Island Red Club meet there in 2002 my wife was there and helped run the table and I was National President. at that time. You need to go and others would love it. People drive 500 miles to see this event. bob

Wow! I'd love to go to this show!

Thank you so much for your comments. I raised her from a chick, she was gold, not yellow. A bronze gold. She is a great chicken. We decided to hatch some of our own and also ordered Speckled Sussex. Where we live the hatchery or home breeding is the only option. Wish we had chicken breeders available to us. Those true RIR are gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom