Is this a rooster or hen?

Loflynn

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2019
Hi everyone! I created this account for this specific question alone. I’ve been racking my brain for weeks. Okay here it goes.

I got 2 old English chicks when they were a few days old. The white one is definitely a rooster for sure but the red one is a bit complicated. For behavior, she does crow like a rooster but it isn’t smooth and sounds off key. I believed “she” did this because she was raised with her brother and just mimicking him. Now on to the physical. I have an older old English hen so I’m familiar with their coloring, feathers and body structure. This “hen” has bright colors, long tail feathers and a gobbler but her neck is not anyway near as fluffy as her brother. Also something to take into account, her brother has started reaching sexual maturity and mounting hens along with breaking up fights. You know typical rooster behavior. “She” doesn’t at all. Now on the their voices. The rooster has a light, sing songy kind of monky-ish voice. “Hers” sounds exactly like my old English hens, raspy, low and exaggerated. Here’s some photos for reference. Any advice will be appreciated. I’m really at a loss here

Attachments

• 10815142-A01E-4E62-884D-D3B075B6811E.png
    10815142-A01E-4E62-884D-D3B075B6811E.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • C4EAFD21-4501-4098-839E-42CCBE3EFDBA.png
    C4EAFD21-4501-4098-839E-42CCBE3EFDBA.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 4399B047-1471-4A0F-9CDB-174B42F23860.jpeg
    4399B047-1471-4A0F-9CDB-174B42F23860.jpeg
    492.9 KB · Views: 17
This if my first rooster so sorry if this question is stupid. Will they try to kill each other when they’re older? They free range and share a coop at night and during winter...

This if my first rooster so sorry if this question is stupid. Will they try to kill each other when they’re older? They free range and share a coop at night and during winter...

In my experience most roosters who are raised together will work things out and not kill each other, even though they will continue to fight from time to time.

However, if you separate them for an extended period of time and then try to get them back together in the same pen, you may have more trouble than just "working things out.". Then they might actually injure each other.

If they're raised together they usually do pretty good. A few scuffles but normally nothing major.
It also helps if they have a lot of room, and enough girls to go around. :)
And don't worry, there's no such thing as a stupid question, that's how we learn. Remember, we were all clueless at one point :D

Some days I think I still am...:p

Back
Top Bottom