Is this a rooster?

So they could all be pullets not a rooster? I ordered all pullets. I'll look up what the Roos look like now for the BLS.

Same thing just a different names for different hatcheries. That is what makes them great though. As long as they hatch without a white spot on their head they are female, so the hatcheries can sex them easier and sell only pullets in the order. They are also fast maturing which is why they are starting to develop wattles and combs earlier than other breeds. They normally start laying at 20 weeks and are egg laying machines. Individual BSL chickens can all look different though. Yours look a lot like mine actually. If they are all 3 BSL though and you ordered pullets you have probably got pullets. Look up BSL roos on here and you'll see they look nothing like roos.

The tail feathers are pretty straight on this one they're just really long. The other two don't have tail feathers like that but they're all starting to get red in the comb and wattles.

Pullets usually grow in more straight tail feathers and faster also. Just generally though. Some breeds I'm not farmiliar with maybe be different in that area.

If they are Bsl then a roo would be barred like a barred rock. You'll see a lot of people ask on here if they have a barred rock or bsl roo because they look so much alike.

im not working tomorrow so ill post pics of my 3 mth old bsl for you to compare. they've all gone to bed for the night.

What do the barred rock Roos look like? I have two 3 year old barred rock hens.

If they are Bsl then a roo would be barred like a barred rock. You'll see a lot of people ask on here if they have a barred rock or bsl roo because they look so much alike.

Thank you! Id really appreciate it. I'm attached to these little ones and they follow me everywhere. It would be so hard to give him up if he's a roo. I'm never ended up with a too so I don't know how to tell. He just looks so different than the other two.

im not working tomorrow so ill post pics of my 3 mth old bsl for you to compare. they've all gone to bed for the night.

Last edited:
I got them at Wardell feed in wheat ridge colorado. They are about two months old.
Then they are probably black sexlink pullets. At 8 to 12 weeks old, they go through juvenile molts, and those tail feathers can look a bit strange. Black sexlink cockerels look just like barred Rock pullets at 8 weeks old. They only have one copy of the barring gene, so it's the darker barring like a purebred hen, rather than the lighter barring of a purebred male.

black sex link rooster. Barred rock roosters are only black and white.

I have noticed a lot of feathers laying on ground in their box lately. Could it be the early molt? So it could not be a roo? What do you mean by light barring and darker barring?

Then they are probably black sexlink pullets. At 8 to 12 weeks old, they go through juvenile molts, and those tail feathers can look a bit strange. Black sexlink cockerels look just like barred Rock pullets at 8 weeks old. They only have one copy of the barring gene, so it's the darker barring like a purebred hen, rather than the lighter barring of a purebred male.

Back
Top Bottom