Is this a rooster?

mysterion

Hatching
Aug 14, 2023
Hi, my kid wanted some chicks for his birthday and here we are with 7 chickens. Could you please help me identify whether this is a rooster? My city does not allow roosters so I need to know so that I could try to rehome him if it's the case.

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 13
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 12
Is this a golden lace Wyandotte/mix? How old is he/she? It is hard to tell without more information, some breeds mature slower and others faster. If you are not sure, do you have similar chicks to show to compare? I have two easter egger pullets and one is showing red comb and waddles that started at 14 weeks and getting redder know that she is approaching laying at 17 weeks, while her hatch mate is not showing as much, at the same age. I also have SLW pullets with faces turning a light pink/orange and little tiny waddles at 12 weeks, this started a couple of weeks ago. Hope this is helpful. I had to rehome three cockerels just this past week, so I understand.

She is 8 week old. She look very different from the rest of the flock: a little bigger, taller, bigger head and neck, little to no tail feather. The rest of the flock look very similar. We bought them without any prior knowledge about raising chicken so we can't even remember their breeds. The place where we bought them had a list of breeds that they had and we don't remember asking for a Wyandotte.

Attachments

• c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 9
She is 8 week old. She look very different from the rest of the flock: a little bigger, taller, bigger head and neck, little to no tail feather. The rest of the flock look very similar. We bought them without any prior knowledge about raising chicken so we can't even remember their breeds. The place where we bought them had a list of breeds that they had and we don't remember asking for a Wyandotte.
It is quite possible it is a cockerel (short tail feathers and the development of comb and wattle being so red). It may be an EE? Does it have an erect posture and rule the rest of the chicks? I looked through my pictures and it is how my cockerels looked about that age. I would give it a couple more weeks to be sure.

It is quite possible it is a cockerel (short tail feathers and the development of comb and wattle being so red). It may be an EE? Does it have an erect posture and rule the rest of the chicks? I looked through my pictures and it is how my cockerels looked about that age. I would give it a couple more weeks to be sure.
It does have an erect posture but I'm not sure about ruling the rest of the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom