Is this a rooster?

onlyme8

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Westmoreland county, PA
Hi, I was wondering if this Rhode Island Red(?) is a rooster or not. I'm pretty sure it is, but I wanted to ask anyways. He/she is about 4 months old. We bought like a dozen eggs and one of our hens sat on them, but only 3 hatched. They were half RIR's and half EE's. I know that one of them is a rooster, and I know one of them is a hen. But I'm not quite sure about this one. Hven't heard it crowing or anything.

sorry the pictures aren't very good. I was outside the fence.
Thanks so much!:)

Hello!
So I'm guess that the bird above was declared a rooster because of those beautiful dark hind feathers! What a beautiful bird!!

I have a rooster question too! Here's my silkie - she's 9+ weeks. Her name is Pearl but I'm not sure she's a female. In the morning she is sort of aggressive - she hops around the cage, hopping AT and ON the other girls! This was my first clue to question her femininity. I had searched online on how to sex a silkie and one site told me to look at her feet - males have extra toes? But I looked for images on this and it looks like all silkies have extra toes? The web has mixed info.

Today me search showed me that I should pay attention to the feathers on top of her/his head. If they're very full and round she's female - if they are thin and staggering lengths, he's male.... Maybe it's too soon to tell - but those feathers look male to me. Expert advice anyone?

Silkies are hard to sex, esp. at thatage, and please post a new thread for your help :]

Yes hes a rooster because..
His hackle feathers are long, pointy and shiny
His saddle feathers (near the tail) are pointed and shiny
And his tail feathers are long and curving
And hens don't have dark wing shoulders like that

Silkies are hard to sex, esp. at thatage, and please post a new thread for your help :]

Yes hes a rooster because..
His hackle feathers are long, pointy and shiny
His saddle feathers (near the tail) are pointed and shiny
And his tail feathers are long and curving
And hens don't have dark wing shoulders like that
x2

Hi, I was wondering if this Rhode Island Red(?) is a rooster or not. I'm pretty sure it is, but I wanted to ask anyways. He/she is about 4 months old. We bought like a dozen eggs and one of our hens sat on them, but only 3 hatched. They were half RIR's and half EE's. I know that one of them is a rooster, and I know one of them is a hen. But I'm not quite sure about this one. Hven't heard it crowing or anything.

sorry the pictures aren't very good. I was outside the fence.
Thanks so much!:)
Beautiful Roo, he looks so much like Bouncer, my RIR Roo. (If you want a look he's in some photos in my In The Coup album.)

I wasn't exactly sure because I've only had one other rooster and his comb was really big. I guess it just depends on the breed. I wanted to get some second opinions, so thanks! :)

Im on the fence if its a boy or girl but if i had to pick its a girl.The tail feathers throw me of though. The breed looks like a mix of a rhode island red. Wish I could help more!!!!

Back
Top Bottom