Is this a sign??

Vickilynn45

Songster
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
I have six chickens, and only two have started laying so far. Today I have a Black Australorp that is almost 22 weeks old and she is acting strangely. Making a lot of noise, like the egg song my layers do, and hiding out in our bushes. She's frantically grabbing grass and throwing it over her shoulder. Building a nest maybe?? I tried putting her in the nest box, but she ran out and back to this spot. Does this mean she's trying to lay and wants to lay back by the bushes? And if so, should I put them all back in the coop and run and lock them in for the day? We live in town and our chickens have never been this noisy lol. I hope none of the neighbors complain of all the noise- they had better not since I listen to their dogs all of the time haha.

Mine is acting the same way. White Leghorn is surly bout to lay, and she has same symptoms as yours. To get EM to lay in their box maybe put some fake eggs or golf balls in there so they know it's safe, but keep in eye on her. If her combs long and red and has these symptoms also that means she will lay any day now. I wouldn't be surprised if you go out in the coop right now and u see an egg from her... Good luck! :D

Well, I can't reach her now very well, and I can tell she's going to lay an egg, or at least try. She's back behind the pallets that hold our garden dirt- right up against the fence. :(

Mine is acting the same way. White Leghorn is surly bout to lay, and she has same symptoms as yours. To get EM to lay in their box maybe put some fake eggs or golf balls in there so they know it's safe, but keep in eye on her. If her combs long and red and has these symptoms also that means she will lay any day now. I wouldn't be surprised if you go out in the coop right now and u see an egg from her... Good luck!
big_smile.png
It's so exciting isn't it. :) We have golf balls in the 2 nests where the other two lay consistently. She's being so stubborn lol. She's definitely looking ready to go, now lets hope I can get her to lay in the nest box. She's showing absolutely no interest in that!

Well, I got my answer- she laid her first egg in behind the pallet lol. Tomorrow I will keep them all in till eggs have been laid, and I guess I need to block off access to that area.

Congrats! Just checked my White Leghorn right now and is building nests in the box I can tell she's very close, and she looks kinda nervous too! :D congrats on ur firs egg though :)

Back
Top Bottom