Is this a silver laced cochin?

shelleyb1969

Star Bright Farm
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Brown City, Michigan (Thumb)
Ok, I've posted about this chick before, but thought I'd try again with updated pics. This chick was the freebie sent with my black, silver laced, and golden laced bantam cochins from Ideal. They are 8 weeks old now. This one didn't look anything like the other chicks when I got them.
hu.gif
And now, it's bigger than the rest (not by much)...even bigger than my black cockerel who's the same age. I can't even tell if it's a roo or hen yet.
idunno.gif
My black cockerel is crowing...this one doesn't seem interested. This one has a bigger comb and wattles (very pale colored) compared to the other hens. Any ideas? This one is my 3yr old son's "special chickie", so I've got to keep it regardless. I'd just like to know what it is. I thought that it was possibly a silver laced, but when I first got them it was a completely different color than the silver laced chicks.
There's also a pic of my black cockerel with a golden laced pullet...for comparison.

13587_cochins_8_wks_old_005.jpg

13587_cochins_8_wks_old_001.jpg

13587_cochins_8_wks_old_006.jpg

Last edited:
If this one does turn out to be a cockerel, he's the sweetest one I've ever owned. He comes running whenever he sees my son...they just love each other!
hugs.gif
But then again, my black cockerel is quite friendly as well. But the black one just has that cockerel attitude...this one not so much. It actually acts more like a hen to me.

Yes he is a hatchery silver laced cochin, I am sure its a boy because I can see his little saddle feathers. He will more than likely end up being mostly white with little black 'v's on the end of his feathers. Also you GL cochin pullet will have poorer lacing than the pictures but she is a hatchery bird. Your black looks good and overall they are adorable.

Quote:
Thanks flyingmonkeypoop. I just love every one of these little guys. I also have a black pullet and a silver laced pullet with them. These cochins are our pets, and they follow us everywhere. They are all so irrisitably sweet!
hugs.gif

I have quite a few cochins myself. I think out of all the breeds i have had the cochins are my favorite. I have a black hen who LOVES to scratch at the door to come in and watch the tv with us lol. They are such characters. You will find that the roos are sooo docile and very good protectors of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom