Is this a trouble maker a rooster?

JupiterFarmer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 14, 2009
Palm Beach County
I don't know what breed this is because we got hatchery's choice at randal burkey. But it's been starting fights with the BR chicks and blooding their combs especially on the rooster seeming ones.

Does this means that this chick will grow up to be a rooster? And will it be so violent always?

Snapshot_20090315_1.jpg

Will it stay so darn mean? Its one of the chicks that refused to be tamed.

Might have to rehome him or get him to the soup pot if he stays so mean to the other chicks. He even attacks BRs that are taking dust baths

Seems that some chicks are just hatched like that. Hyperactive and aggressive.
IMO, his adult personality is hard to judge. If you were planning on keeping a rooster I would pick another one if you have the choice, just in case.

We were planning on keeping as many as we could as long as they didn't try fighting all the time. Think Papicito might end up for the soup if he doesn't settle down

Quote:
How many hens will you have? Even if your boys behave themselves too many roos can lead to unhappy hens. The overmating and even the small amount of bickering between the boys stresses the hens out.

We got a total of twenty eight chicks. Only about 4 BR have a noticeably rooish characteristics in there looks. And there is Papicito and Velo that show aggressiveness which makes us think that they're roosters.

So six roo maybe's

Just my take on it but I don't live with a mean bird. The stress they place on the other birds doesn't help anything. The fact that most DON'T get any better as they age - well you can already imagine it.

We had two BO roos that would not stop fighting with anything that moved. As soon as we sold them off - the whole crew settled in content and peaceful.

I'd suggest separating them from the rest if you absolutely have to grow them out. If not - sell or soup. Life's too short to be miserable over a bird with a short fuse.

Back
Top Bottom