Is this a Wheaten Marans chick?

suzpyoung

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Temperance, MI
Hello! Four weeks ago I purchased my first Marans chicks: ten black copper and one that I was told is a Wheaten Marans. Someone on another thread pointed out her green legs and said they didn't think so. I trusted she would know what she was talking about as she does show. The gal did have some Easter Egger chicks (I bought one) but she specifically told me this chick is a Marans. The link to my other thread with pics is below. Thanks for any advice!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/683512/4-wk-old-wheaten-marans-pullet-or-roo#post_9245475

Yes, there should be no green legs in Marans of any variety. Also, they should have feathered shanks and outside toes. I would say you have a mix there.

Thanks so much, Debbi. Did the BCMs look pure though? I just hope I wasn't hornswaggled. She had pictures of blue ribbons on her Craigslist posting, so of course I was impressed. And I did see several of her eggs when I was there, and they were quite dark.

Thanks so much, Debbi. Did the BCMs look pure though? I just hope I wasn't hornswaggled. She had pictures of blue ribbons on her Craigslist posting, so of course I was impressed. And I did see several of her eggs when I was there, and they were quite dark.
The blue chicks in the picture are a pair, one on left is male and the feathered out is a female. Does this person still have an ad up ? I only know of one Marans person in your area and she doesn't have wheaten Marans.

I looked for her ad, but it's gone. She has a Swanton, OH address and she was also selling Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers.

Thank you for your input on the blue chicks. Are you determining their sex on the degree of feathering? And do the black chicks look pure? Thanks again; I'm really appreciating this in a big way.

I looked for her ad, but it's gone. She has a Swanton, OH address and she was also selling Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers.

Thank you for your input on the blue chicks. Are you determining their sex on the degree of feathering? And do the black chicks look pure? Thanks again; I'm really appreciating this in a big way.
With the Marans the female will usually feather out quicker and the male at 3-4 weeks will have the high comb. Did the Blues come from the same person ?

The blue chicks in the picture are a pair, one on left is male and the feathered out is a female. Does this person still have an ad up ? I only know of one Marans person in your area and she doesn't have wheaten Marans.
Hello there! I decided to give you an update since I just put some of the Marans on the auction site, not because I wanted to
sad.png
. Both blues turned out to be hens, and the "easter egger" looking one turned out to be a lovely wheaten hen that lays a respectably dark egg.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom