Is this a White 'sport' Cream Legbar, mix or 'poor hatch down'?

oh i had no idea you could bred within the same line, I thought maybe that would be discouraged same way with cats/dogs etc but i imagine in the wild they'd all breed indiscriminately with each other anyway.

Breeding close relatives makes it more likely that recessive traits will show up (like white). But if your chickens do not have any recessive genes for problems, you will not see problems.

With cats and dogs (and especially with people!), the goal is to have every offspring be healthy. With farm animals, especially ones like chickens and pigs that have lots of babies at a time, it has been common to breed close relatives and then cull the parents that pass on bad traits. So by now, really bad traits in chickens are pretty rare.

If you plan on breeding chickens, I hope you have a plan for the 50% of chicks that will be males. Some people happily eat them, while some other people feel that they cannot eat a chicken they raised, so the "right" way to deal with excess males isn't the same for everyone ;)

Once i have a nice group of blue, green, cream and chocolate egg layers ill then see how to get pink eggs in my flock
I think pink eggs are a shade of brown eggs (genetically speaking), so you might get some while you're working with cream and chocolate egg colors.

Breeding close relatives makes it more likely that recessive traits will show up (like white). But if your chickens do not have any recessive genes for problems, you will not see problems.

With cats and dogs (and especially with people!), the goal is to have every offspring be healthy. With farm animals, especially ones like chickens and pigs that have lots of babies at a time, it has been common to breed close relatives and then cull the parents that pass on bad traits. So by now, really bad traits in chickens are pretty rare.

If you plan on breeding chickens, I hope you have a plan for the 50% of chicks that will be males. Some people happily eat them, while some other people feel that they cannot eat a chicken they raised, so the "right" way to deal with excess males isn't the same for everyone ;)

I think pink eggs are a shade of brown eggs (genetically speaking), so you might get some while you're working with cream and chocolate egg colors.
That makes alot of sense, I might try it then and see what comes out in the next generation or two, theres nothing to loose...std or white ill still have a lovely group of blue layers. I have thought about that, i was planning to raise for meat and eggs but i think it all comes down to how i feel about it when it comes time...i plan to keep a few roos anyway but chances are ill have more than i need so im not against raising a flock for meat and ive researched humane methods to dispatch. it just comes down to that first time. If i can't go through with it, I have a number for a 'chicken man'. I dispatch crab n lobster with no probs before they go in the pot but thats different.

oh, with the pink eggs...that's what i was thinking. ive read they are a shade of brown (i think brown eggs are actually white eggs but the outer colour/coating gives them varying shades of brown) but just wasnt sure how to create that shade. in that case ill try maran with the GPB, in both directions and see what the results are

oh, with the pink eggs...that's what i was thinking. ive read they are a shade of brown (i think brown eggs are actually white eggs but the outer colour/coating gives them varying shades of brown) but just wasnt sure how to create that shade. in that case ill try maran with the GPB, in both directions and see what the results are

Pink is light brown with heavy bloom.

Lanshans are supposed to be noted for purple or pink eggs. Ideal supposedly has the Croad line with a good chance at those eggs.

Pink is light brown with heavy bloom.

Lanshans are supposed to be noted for purple or pink eggs. Ideal supposedly has the Croad line with a good chance at those eggs.
thats it, the bloom...i knew it was something like that. ill have to do some looking round (not sure what the croad line is so ill have to do some research) it'll probably be some time late next year as all mine are currently babies so it'll be a few months before i start getting eggs and ready to start working with genetics

i think brown eggs are actually white eggs but the outer colour/coating gives them varying shades of brown

Yes, that is correct.

White egg shells are white clear through.
Blue egg shells are blue clear through.
Brown eggs are white ones with a brown coating.
Green eggs are blue ones with a brown coating.

There is one gene that controls blue vs. not-blue.
There are lots of genes that make the brown darker or lighter.

I wouldn't worry too much about your older boy yet. It takes some time for their color to really start showing well.
If the yellow one is pure ya its a sport. Some are calling them "frost" now and working on getting them accepted.
APA still hasn't approved Legbars at all yet that I know of.
Yes two whites will produce only whites. Their white is recessive so one of your other chicks may be carrying it and produce some whites when bred to that one.
Yes I think your pale one is male.
Will the Frost white legbar hens only have white chicks ? What if they breed with a different breed of rooster? Will there still be all white chicks? I have 3 Frost white legbar hens, but my roosters are lavender Orpington, Swedish flower, white silkie, Easter egger multi color. I’m curious what the chicks would turn out to look like

No.
They won't have any white chicks unless they're breed to a white rooster or one that carries recessive white.
No of what you listed should carry recessive white except the silkier. When he is bred to them all offspring should be white.

Old thread that got pushed at me under one of the other Legbar threads but wanted to say:

White Legbars are just "White", not "Frost". That was just some cheesy hatchery name that is not well-loved by Legbar breeders.

Since none of the Legbars are APA recognized in this country, they are no more or less undesirable than other varieties. I happen to prefer them because the cream and golden crele colors are so messed up in this breed. White is easy, and I also love that the variety doesn't seem to throw much leakage or off-color like recessive white can in other breeds. I had a fair number pop up out of my cream/gold lines this year and will be heavily focusing on the variety this coming season.

Back
Top Bottom