Is this acceptable?

tull14

Songster
7 Years
Mar 28, 2013
Delaware
I am wondering about my duckies living quarters. Does this look like a good set up for 14 ducks?

This is their outside area, 10x10 dog kennel is pushed up against the door of the barn.

This is how they get to their outside area (until my husband builds my ramp)

The rest of their area... it is totally enclosed and the openings are covered by chicken wire

The total view... I'm not sure how to keep that area by their waterers dry shew they are messy and muddy

There's alot to like about it. I am always nervous about predators. They don't need much of a gap to get in and destroy.

Is the 10'x10' chain link section covered with half inch metal hardware cloth or chain link with no gaps?

Go over everything - predators can climb as well as dig, and they seem to go crazy for duck dinner.

For the water, check out Tweetysvoice solution, and there are a number of others who build platforms for watering stations. I like the bottom of a large plastic dog crate, with sawdust pellets in the bottom, and a 2 gallon stew pot for drinking water.
ç

Love the indoor space! the entrance to outside again, fantastic! the run, way to small lol I have 14 ducks right now... they will turn that 10x10 into a horrible mess very, very fast. The openings in the barn ensure that is a heavy, small gauge wire, like hardware cloth otherwise predators go straight through it.

Can you enlarge the run? i hate to be a downer just i know what mine have done to the area around their barn, it's a 1/3 of an acre and they free range.

Last edited:
The openings in the barn have been covered by plywood and chicken wire to deter climbers. Yeah the run is about as big as we can go unfortunately but I plan to let them free range and the run will only be a when I'm not home escape.

There's alot to like about it. I am always nervous about predators. They don't need much of a gap to get in and destroy.

Is the 10'x10' chain link section covered with half inch metal hardware cloth or chain link with no gaps?

Go over everything - predators can climb as well as dig, and they seem to go crazy for duck dinner.

For the water, check out Tweetysvoice solution, and there are a number of others who build platforms for watering stations. I like the bottom of a large plastic dog crate, with sawdust pellets in the bottom, and a 2 gallon stew pot for drinking water.
ç
I"m wondering if I get one of the pans that go in the bottom of a dog crate if that'd do it?

I found I had to experiment quite a bit. Much of the success of a watering system is up to the ducks
wink.png

True, I also forgot I didn't answer one of your questions, yes the outdoor enclosure is covered by chicken wire with no gaps and there is buried about a foot deep chicken wire all the way around to try to deter predators from digging under.

Back
Top Bottom