Is this air cell too big?

uusparrowuu

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2022
This is my first time hatching duck eggs from my super star khaki campbell crossed with welsh harlequin. Tentative hatch day is supposed to be tomorrow. 3 of 4 look dark and full of duckling and a large air cell and shadowy movements. It doesn’t look like they’ve pipped internally, but they’re still very much moving. My husband and I are worried they might get shrink wrapped. I set the humidity and temperature according to what I’ve read on this site to the best of my ability, but this is an older styrofoam model that I added separate thermometers to to double check the temp and wet bulb humidity.

egg 1 and egg 2. Egg 2 looks more concerning, like the duckling is just stuck at the bottom of the egg. Both are still moving inside with gusto. Egg 3 looks just like egg 1. Egg 4 looks to be at least a week behind in development but it’s still moving in there so I’ll leave it be.

Attachments

• C5768285-359F-4689-853D-20DD9A78AB96.jpeg
    C5768285-359F-4689-853D-20DD9A78AB96.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 2656D1DD-A53A-48C2-B29D-67E5F36B3BAF.jpeg
    2656D1DD-A53A-48C2-B29D-67E5F36B3BAF.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 12
First picture, I don't see a problem there. Second picture.... I'm not sure why the egg cell would be shaped that way. Wait a few more days, and then check. When my duck egg got a air cell shape like the second picture, it died shortly after. You didn't ship the eggs right? Could you post a picture of egg 4 please?

This is my first time hatching duck eggs from my super star khaki campbell crossed with welsh harlequin. Tentative hatch day is supposed to be tomorrow. 3 of 4 look dark and full of duckling and a large air cell and shadowy movements. It doesn’t look like they’ve pipped internally, but they’re still very much moving. My husband and I are worried they might get shrink wrapped. I set the humidity and temperature according to what I’ve read on this site to the best of my ability, but this is an older styrofoam model that I added separate thermometers to to double check the temp and wet bulb humidity.

egg 1 and egg 2. Egg 2 looks more concerning, like the duckling is just stuck at the bottom of the egg. Both are still moving inside with gusto. Egg 3 looks just like egg 1. Egg 4 looks to be at least a week behind in development but it’s still moving in there so I’ll leave it be.
They look okay to me. They look large because the air cell has drawn down ready for hatch.

The second photo, air cell seems shaped oddly, perhaps saddled? Could just be the angle. I wouldnt panic about it.

And please don't worry about shrink wrapping, this generally only happens when there is an external pip and the egg is left in dry conditions. It's not nearly as common as people often think. Just ensure the humidity is about right and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom