Is this an Ameracauna or what is it.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kycklingmamma, Apr 17, 2009.

1. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an "Ameracauna" chicken that is almost 7 weeks old. I just noticed today that the feathers on the back of her head is "flipping out" kind of funny. Is this what they call muffs or eartufts? I have another Ameracauna, a pullet and she doen't have it, I actually think she is a EE or mutt but like to call her an Ameracauna. She does lay huge pale blue eggs.

Here is a pic of Quail, our funny tufted looking Ameracauna chick. She does have olive green/blue legs. She is almost 7 weeks.
    [​IMG]

Here is another pic taken so you hopefully can see her neck feathers.
    [​IMG]
    Let me know what you think.
    Ps we hope/think she is Quail, if you think she is a he we'll name her Dan Quail LOL.

Kycklingmamma

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    it's an Easter Egger.....and if that comb is as red as it looks then I would be inclined to say it's a cockeral [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  3. cherylellen

cherylellen New Egg

Apr 17, 2009
    Black Forest, Colorado
    That's an araucana/americauna. They don't all have ear tufts. (Especially if they're actually Easter Eggers) I have two hens that look identical, neither have tufts, one lays brown eggs...one lays beautiful green eggs!

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:actually it's not an araucana or an ameraucana, the hatcheries just call them that, but they are not......

5. cherylellen

cherylellen New Egg

Apr 17, 2009
    Black Forest, Colorado
    Yep!

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    She's a pretty Easter Egger (a hatchery Ameraucana) with a weird hairdo! It may go away, or it may stay. And I think she IS a pullet. A cockerel's comb would be larger and more red than that.

7. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a pullet and she'll probably have a gorgeous fluffy beard. You'll have to show us a pic when she feathers out a bit more.

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:actually a pea comb isn't always significantly larger in the cockerals than pullets at such a young age, but the color is usually a good indicator

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's more that the combs on cockerels are wider, not necessarily taller, however, some have sort of an in-between comb that keeps you guessing for awhile. That looks like a pullet to me at this stage.

10. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks all for the answers. I hope she is a she, I am a little full on boys if you know what I mean. I think she will be pretty and definitely will post more pics as she get older.

kycklingmamma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by