Is this an Ameracauna or what is it.

kycklingmamma

Songster
11 Years
Jun 10, 2008
My slice of Heaven on Earth...
I have an "Ameracauna" chicken that is almost 7 weeks old. I just noticed today that the feathers on the back of her head is "flipping out" kind of funny. Is this what they call muffs or eartufts? I have another Ameracauna, a pullet and she doen't have it, I actually think she is a EE or mutt but like to call her an Ameracauna. She does lay huge pale blue eggs.

Here is a pic of Quail, our funny tufted looking Ameracauna chick. She does have olive green/blue legs. She is almost 7 weeks.
11732_img_1787.jpg

Here is another pic taken so you hopefully can see her neck feathers.
11732_img_1786.jpg

Let me know what you think.
Ps we hope/think she is Quail, if you think she is a he we'll name her Dan Quail LOL.

Kycklingmamma

it's an Easter Egger.....and if that comb is as red as it looks then I would be inclined to say it's a cockeral
hmm.png

Last edited:
That's an araucana/americauna. They don't all have ear tufts. (Especially if they're actually Easter Eggers) I have two hens that look identical, neither have tufts, one lays brown eggs...one lays beautiful green eggs!

Quote:
actually it's not an araucana or an ameraucana, the hatcheries just call them that, but they are not......

She's a pretty Easter Egger (a hatchery Ameraucana) with a weird hairdo! It may go away, or it may stay. And I think she IS a pullet. A cockerel's comb would be larger and more red than that.

Quote:
actually a pea comb isn't always significantly larger in the cockerals than pullets at such a young age, but the color is usually a good indicator

Back
Top Bottom