Is this an australorp, a mutt, or...?

suburban farm girl

Songster
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
SF Bay Area
We got this chick at a few days old from a feed store. They had a bunch of babies all together and weren't totally sure which breed was which. We thought we got an australorp, which I have never had before - but aren't they all black??? The person at the feed store said they got the chicks from Ideal, if that sheds any light for anyone.

Its comb is black, its legs are black, the majority of its feathers are an iridescent black, and then, as you can see in the picture, its chest and around the neck are brown - ??

It is about 9 weeks old in this picture.

4922_img_3215.jpg

4922_img_3213.jpg

Quote:
Sex link hen is good.

Tell me how you know that.

What are the clues? (I've looked all over for a picture of a bird that looks like this one with no luck at all - that's why I thought maybe a mutt...)

Thanks!

Quote:
Possibly...?

Except mine has black legs and a black comb...

One of the other pix looks like the black sex link pullet might have black legs, though in the photo they look more slate. Mine has definite black legs. I've never heard of a hen with a black comb - so it must change as she gets older...

The black sex links do look like the most likely choice that I've seen.

and Urbanfarmboi, thanks for confirming the 'no' on the lorp.

Quote:
Agreed. One of mine had a black comb, but grew out of it.

Both these pullets are black sex-links (black stars). The one in front has a black comb & wattles - they both have black legs.

gardenchickens001-7.jpg

This is the pullet that used to have the black comb - you can see it growing out (the chicken behind her is not a BSL).
blackstars-17weeks001.jpg

BSLs vary quite a bit in their coloring - you can see pics of my 3 BSLs all grown up here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=19548-our-black-stars-sexlinks

Thanks Arizona Desert Chicks for confirming a black sex link.

I've heard lots of good things about them, so I'm not disappointed - I was just a bit surprised when this one that I thought was supposed to be all black started getting brown feathers!

Back
Top Bottom