Is this an illness or injury?

Do you know why the area under eye is red ? That looks more like an injury or from pecking. The bubbles and sticky drainage and swollen eye might be from that, but it also may be mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, which is a chronic respiratory disease. The other eye has that sunken look that might be MG, but a better picture might help. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? MG is very common in backyard flocks and can be brought in by wild birds, new birds, or it can be brought in on shoes, hands, clothing, etc. Has she been acting sick or lethargic? Have others been picking on her?

I would probably go ahead and treat her for MG with Tylan, an antibiotic that you might find at your local feed store. It comes in Tylan 50 and Tylan 200 injectable, which you can give orally after using a syringe and needle to withdraw it from the vial. Or order Tylan (tylosin) powder to add to the water here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Otherwise it has to come from a vet. Dosage of the powder is 1 tsp of powder to each gallon of water, and change it every 3 days. Give it for 5 days. To mix it, you must add water to the powder, not the other way around, or it does not mix well.
I called the farm supply store and they have the tylan. I’m going to pick it up after work.

Her nasal passage appears good and dry, that's good. I see the bubbling in the eye that is one of many symptoms of respiratory illness (and other problems), but the rest of her eye has me questioning that diagnosis. Is that a scrape or cut under that same eye? Either way... a good flush of the eye with saline, water, or even visine for dry eyes while protecting her nostrils and mouth from entering is a good starting point, followed by neosporin (triple antibiotic) ointment without any pain relievers in it, directly in and on the eye would be prudent for a hen suffering from respiratory illness or disease or a minor injury to her eye.
When not being held, how is her breathing sounds? Does she have rales (rasping, audible vibrations to her breathing)? What does the inside, roof of her mouth look like? Chicken pus isn't liquidy, like human pus is. Respiratory infection can cause a cheesy, pale yellow pasty stuff (chicken pus) to build up under the 'flaps' on the inside of her beak or cause the development of a 'knot' near the eye.
If her nasal passage becomes involved in this illness, it would lead me to believe it to be a respiratory infection for sure, and the worst kind... WET. Should this happen, antibiotics will become necessary; the sooner you nip a wet respiratory infection in the bud, the better! Tylan50 is often recommended for a wet respiratory infection... you can look up dosing on the BYC forums.
I'd flush and then goop up her eye with medicines as outlined above, without bandaging, then observe her for a day or two, looking for worsening or improvement to her condition. Please keep us posted, and more pictures are always welcome. Calling in some others for extra opinions and advice @Texas Kiki @aart
I flushed her eye as you instructed.

I put the triple antibiotic cream .

Breathing is normal.

Roof of mouth is white.

Tylan 50 has been hard to get recently, but I would try first to get that or the 200, which is 4 times stronger, and also more expensive than the 50. Let us know what you find, and we will give dosage. The shipping on the Tylan powder might make it too expensive, but it is easier to give. In Hawaii, someone might know of a place to buy oxytetracycline, which could be used instead of the Tylan. Look for any sneezing or crackly breathing. If you don’t feel that she has a respiratory infection, you would not need to separate her, but she sure looks to have a look of sticky and bubbly eye drainage. If she is separated for more than 5 days, she might get picked on. Usually I separate my broddy hens for that long, and they usually go back in the flock without too much problem. Since she probably cannot see well out of her left eye, I would make sure that she is eating and drinking well. A wet mash of feed and water, changed daily might be good.

Tylan 50 has been hard to get recently, but I would try first to get that or the 200, which is 4 times stronger, and also more expensive than the 50. Let us know what you find, and we will give dosage. The shipping on the Tylan powder might make it too expensive, but it is easier to give. In Hawaii, someone might know of a place to buy oxytetracycline, which could be used instead of the Tylan. Look for any sneezing or crackly breathing. If you don’t feel that she has a respiratory infection, you would not need to separate her, but she sure looks to have a look of sticky and bubbly eye drainage. If she is separated for more than 5 days, she might get picked on. Usually I separate my broddy hens for that long, and they usually go back in the flock without too much problem. Since she probably cannot see well out of her left eye, I would make sure that she is eating and drinking well. A wet mash of feed and water, changed daily might be good.
I called the feed store and they have the T50. I’m going to pick it up after work.

Since I don’t know if it’s respiratory or not should I keep her separated? Should I just treat it as it is and follow the normal protocols? I’m thinking what if I go back to normal and I’m wrong and it’s a contagious respiratory infection.

Back
Top Bottom