Is this angel wing?

DuckDuckSook

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Southeastern PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello friends!
Just started noticing today that one of my ducklings' wings looks a little different. This is my first time raising ducklings so I didn't know if it was just some of the adult feathers coming in or if it was the beginning of angel wing. If it is angel wing, I know I can wrap it with vet wrap. Has anyone ever used pantyhose? I saw a photo online of someone using them and thought I'd see if anyone on here has experience with that. I'm really hoping it isn't angel wing and you will all tell me it is just normal feather growth. Thanks.
PXL_20210331_004615007.MP.jpg

PXL_20210331_004624013.MP.jpg

PXL_20210331_004642964.MP.jpg

PXL_20210331_004536536.MP.jpg

Hello friends!
Just started noticing today that one of my ducklings' wings looks a little different. This is my first time raising ducklings so I didn't know if it was just some of the adult feathers coming in or if it was the beginning of angel wing. If it is angel wing, I know I can wrap it with vet wrap. Has anyone ever used pantyhose? I saw a photo online of someone using them and thought I'd see if anyone on here has experience with that. I'm really hoping it isn't angel wing and you will all tell me it is just normal feather growth. Thanks.
View attachment 2592530
View attachment 2592532
View attachment 2592533
View attachment 2592534
It does look like the very start of it. With angel wing you'll see the tip of the wing slowly start to face away and bend. What are you feeding them? Ducks need a large amount of protein, and if their correct diet isn't met they can get this.

I'll tag @Isaac 0 and see if they have an opinion on this.

It could also just be the quills coming in at an odd angle, but it's difficult to tell when they're this young.

It does look like the very start of it. With angel wing you'll see the tip of the wing slowly start to face away and bend. What are you feeding them? Ducks need a large amount of protein, and if their correct diet isn't met they can get this.

I'll tag @Isaac 0 and see if they have an opinion on this.

It could also just be the quills coming in at an odd angle, but it's difficult to tell when they're this young.
I am feeding them Purina Flock Raiser with Now brand Nutritional yeast flakes. I'm using the hi level Vitamin B complex in their water. They get lettuce, peas, and mealworms as treats.

I am feeding them Purina Flock Raiser with Now brand Nutritional yeast flakes. I'm using the hi level Vitamin B complex in their water. They get lettuce, peas, and mealworms as treats.
Everything sounds perfect. If they're getting all that then it likely isn't. Just keep a close eye on it.

Angel wing is frequently attributed to bad diet, but in some cases can also be genetic. In this case if it is angel wing, I'd lean towards it being bad genetics.

Everything sounds perfect. If they're getting all that then it likely isn't. Just keep a close eye on it.

Angel wing is frequently attributed to bad diet, but in some cases can also be genetic. In this case if it is angel wing, I'd lean towards it being bad genetics.
Okay, thanks. I'll keep an eye on it.

It does not look like AW to me; however, it would not hurt to pay closer attention to the area, and if there begins to be an outward rotation in the carpal joint feathers, bandage to correct the problem.
I will look for any rotation. I just ordered some vet wrap just as a precaution. Thank you!

Hello everyone! I just wanted to update this post since others may be in a similar boat with ducklings and concerns about angel wing. I ended up using pantyhose as a wrap for the duckling. I cut a portion of the widest part of the thigh area and it was like a tube which fit perfectly on our duckling. She could still move around, breathe easily, and it didn't slide off until the end of the day. I had her wear this for 3-4 days and after that, no more evidence of angel wing! I think we caught it early and the pantyhose tube worked. I just wanted to share in case others might find it helpful.

On another note, this particular duckling was our biggest one and grew the most and the quickest. She often had shaky legs and laid down a lot. After stressing for weeks about her condition, she ended up just growing out of all that. I had done the hi level b vitamin complex, the nutritional yeast, niacin tablets, etc. We did it all to help her and she was still showing signs of leg weakness but I think she just had to strengthen her legs. We did have her swim every other day and also spend some time outdoors, but I think she just needed time. She no longer shows any signs of worrisome behaviors. I hope that is encouraging for some of you on here. For me, when I was looking up all the things I was worried about, it was helpful to hear success stories and know that everything might work out.

Thanks for all the support!

Hello friends!
View attachment 2592530
View attachment 2592532
View attachment 2592533
View attachment 2592534
This looks like normal Juniors getting their first set of feathers to me the one where he is sitting down it might be normal because he's sitting down there still adjusting to that new weight on their wings looks normal to me it's not poking upward or outward I have a Muscovy with double angel wing and he looks like an airplane walking around neighbors did this with cat food diet I adopted him his name is Roaming Romeo because he can't fly and can only walk has his own run down the side of the house & doing great

Back
Top Bottom