is this bad?

cms1113

Songster
10 Years
Feb 2, 2009
DE
I know when chickens mate the rooster does his sexy dance but is it normal for him to pull the hen buy her head down to the floor? I had a hen in with one of my roosters and he didn't bother her at all but then i switched hens and as soon as she got in there he starts pecking at her head and pulling her down to the floor.Does this mean he hates her or likes her?

I'm not certain, but it sounds to me like he's showing her who is boss. I would think he'd stop as soon as she shows submission.

The roo grabs the hen by the back of the neck and forces her head down during the mating process. An immature roo can be quite clumsey about it.

oh ok. She was screaming so i took her out. I guess i'll put her back and just leave this time. I can't stand watching the poor thing scream like that!

Ahh rap rap!! (hen screaming
barnie.gif
LOL! Poor hens I swear,they don't have a choice when the roos want some action.

Have hope. Once the hens are mature enough to accept the matings it happens so quickly and quietly that if you're not watching you won't even know about it.

you mean your Rooster is nice about it most of the time? *sigh* My RIR is so mean to the hens! He has always pulled their feathers and pecked their heads.

I think he's just a bit young. He doesn't even crow! So this is why i was surprised that he was acting like that towards her.

Once they all get on the same page, he'll just give her the LOOK, and she will assume the position, until then he's gotta show her what he's talking about.
They'll work it out. Sometimes some Roos are just rougher than others, or some hens are just more stubborn than others.
idunno.gif

Quote:
My girls have been mature for several months now. The majority of the time my roo just gives the girl he has a hankering for a look and she squats.
Sometimes the girl he's intent on doesn't want to mate at that time - headache?
lol.png
She runs away, but he doesn't persue her. He has 14 hens to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom