Is this bird a Buff Ameraucana?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by atomicwoman, May 25, 2011.

1. atomicwoman

atomicwoman New Egg

May 12, 2011
    Sebatopol, California
    I bought 3 Buff Orpington pullets back in early April. They are now about 6 1/2 weeks old. However, one is much larger and sports a beard and greenish legs. Was there an Ameraucana in the woodpile? Photo to follow.

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    maybe an EE...if you had a true ameraucana you would know...they come from breeders, not hatcheries [​IMG]

3. atomicwoman

atomicwoman New Egg

May 12, 2011
    Sebatopol, California
    I got them from a local feed store who bought a mess of Buff Orps from a breeder in Texas. They also had ameraucanas in a different cage. When I asked them about this bird they were surprised. No one else had called in about them.

[​IMG]

4. atomicwoman

atomicwoman New Egg

May 12, 2011
    Sebatopol, California
    Here's a close up of his (I think) face and one of him with a Buff Orpington, the same age.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    Legs look yellow and other ones legs look green so no. True Ameraucanas will have slate colored legs.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It's an easter egger.

7. atomicwoman

atomicwoman New Egg

May 12, 2011
    Sebatopol, California
    I did some research and you are right. I guess those green legs are a give away. He's just and Easter Egger that got mixed up with the Orpingtons at the hatchery. Well he is cute, we'll how he behaves when he gets a little older. thanks!

8. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Yep ! EE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by