Is this black beauty a Barred Rock or something else?

QuiltinChick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
Iowa
So, we have about 50 Barred Rocks that are all almost 3 weeks old. They all are starting to get their "barring" colors at different rates. This one seems to be a bit different and not showing really any sign of markings. I'm starting to wonder if he/she is something besides a Barred Rock.

His/her feet and beak have a lot more black on them then the others. There really isn't any white spot that was on top of the head.

What do you think? Just a Barred Rock with no markings or a Black Beauty in disguise?
smile.png

Ramirez is right, it is a Jersey Giant. Barred Rocks have yellow shanks, and yellow feet. Jersey Giants have black shanks and yellow feet. (They aren't supposed to have white on them, too but that one does)

Last edited:
most black chicks have a white wing feather here or there, that when they molt goes away and is replace with black. so I wouldnt worry about white wing feathers yet

THANKS everyone. This is kind of exciting to have a different breed with our Barred Rocks, however, I am wondering how we would have received this one. We ordered from McMurray Hatchery and received a free rare chick which is a yellow easter egger. Is there a chance they gave us a second rare chick or was this just a mix up do you think? We ordered 50 Barred Rocks and we received 54 Barred Rocks (or should I say 53 Barred Rocks and one Jersey Giant)

No worries about the white feather. We are just wanting laying hens, no intentions of showing or breeding, at least, not at this point in time.

Also, any guesses as to a hen or a rooster?

THANKS!!!

It's comb is a little small, so maybe a pullet. I'm not accurate, it's still a little young.
Just a little something: Jersey Giant's grow slow, the won't reach maximum size till they are 2 years old. But they will still lay eggs at your average chickens lay rate. And since they get too heavy, they can break their legs or get bumblefoot if they jump off roosts that are too high. You can put a little table in there, I have a plastic one with a wood board on top, it's 3X3ft table. Hope this helped also!

It's comb is a little small, so maybe a pullet. I'm not accurate, it's still a little young.
Just a little something: Jersey Giant's grow slow, the won't reach maximum size till they are 2 years old. But they will still lay eggs at your average chickens lay rate. And since they get too heavy, they can break their legs or get bumblefoot if they jump off roosts that are too high. You can put a little table in there, I have a plastic one with a wood board on top, it's 3X3ft table. Hope this helped also!

wee.gif
If it's a pullet!!!
wee.gif

THANKS for the info on the Jersey Giant breed. I had no idea there could be leg and foot problems. I will certainly make sure the roosts are at the correct height or make sure it doesn't have to jump all the way down. Can you give me an idea of how high is too high? Our nest boxes are about 28" to the top row (they are old metal nest boxes that are 2 rows of 5 nests each). Our roosts should be higher then that right? We also have 3 white silkies in our flock so we will have to make an area for them to roost or puppy pile whichever they choose.

Good thing my hubby is such a talented carpenter!!!

...since they get too heavy, they can break their legs or get bumblefoot if they jump off roosts that are too high.

Could you maybe post a pic of your JG roost? I have JG along with a Rock and RIR so now I'm worried about how to position the roost in a good spot for all three.

I don't recommend JG's to have roosts over 6ft, you need a wood table or just a slab of wood supported 3 ft above the ground. . This is 5 1/2 ft tall. The Jersey's are usually smart enough to find the table to fly down onto.

I know some chickens will want to sit up there, but they prefer the open side. There's a 2foot difference from where the roost is to the landing spot. (Sorry about the poop, all chicken owners understand, right?)

The roost bar is about 5ft long by 3 inches wide. I'll show a picture.

Back
Top Bottom