Is this broody behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sphinx, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    One of my EE, Mabel, started laying eggs about 3 weeks ago. She gives me gorgeous olive green eggs, maybe 5 a week so far.

On Friday, I watched my SLW lay her very first egg, and Mabel watched as well. As soon as the egg came out, Mabel zoomed into the box, putting herself under poor the SLW, who was already looking a bit shocked.

[​IMG]

SLW managed to extricate herself and get out of the box. Mabel sat there for about 2 more minutes and then got up and walked out.

This morning, I went out to collect eggs and found Mabel sitting on a different chicken's egg. Again, it only lasted for about 5 minutes, and then she got up and walked out.

Is this broody behavior, or is she possibly trying to claim credit for the others' eggs?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She's looking for extra treats for multiple egg production.[​IMG]

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    So she's just a cheater!

I find that kind of funny, because of the 4 chickens laying, she's definitely laying the most beautiful eggs, and she's almost laying as many as my leghorn(ish) chicken.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    It sounds as though she is trying to take the credit, but hens sometimes behave in this way when their hormones are not quite high enough to be fully broody.

You may find her sitting for progressively longer periods on her own or other hens' eggs if she is going broody.

5. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Quote:x2

6. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

QUESTIONS:

One of my Sumatra pullets at age 6.5 months, appears to be going broody. She has only been laying for 4 weeks, is it still possible for a young pullet to go broody?
    Yesterday I was wondering if she had a problem laying or something, and needed extra time, maybe felt uncomfortable, etc., so I offered her some snacks and she opened her beak wide and growled at me, lol.
    She has spent the last couple of nights in the nest box.
    One thing about her, of my 3 pullets, she has always been the most gentle around our other flock of younger pullets, now 14 weeks old, when they are out in the yard supervised. The other 2 enjoy chasing, pecking and generally scaring the living daylights out of the youngsters.
    Is her gentle behavior towards the youngsters a sign of good mothering instincts?

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Two nights off the roost in the nest box is my Broody? Check! test.

Both of my pullets who went broody did it only a month after they started laying. Really surprised me. I thought they would have to be more mature, if I thought about it at all.

Sounds like your Sumatra has passed the Broody test. [​IMG]

8. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    ok, so my black bantum frizzle spent all day in the box. She did let me get the eggs out, but she was not happy.
    I am going to see if she went to perch.
    I would love to hatch eggs, I wish I had some. I only have hens

9. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    oh no, she is still in the box, what to do?

10. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Buy her some fertile eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by