roosters97

Songster
12 Years
Jan 23, 2008
VA
I think i gots my first broody hen!
tongue.png
I set down 4 eggs and it worked! is this a sign?- she pecked me

Depends if she stays protective of the eggs, I have hens that will puff up and peck you if you desturb them when they are thinking of laying, but once they have thier turn in the box, the get up and leave, so only act broodie for the time they are wanting left alone.

If still protecting those eggs, and staying in box couple of hours later, you may have your first broodie, I would take her out of the box, and see if she INSISTS on staying in that spot.

I have one who goes broody every day!!! LOL For about 10 minutes she will KILL you if you go near that egg. Then she gets up, looks at it all disgusted like "that stupid thing is NEVER gonna hatch" and lets me have it!!! Hopefully yours will stay that way.
smile.png
Good luck.
smile.png

Quote:
that would be up to you if its good or not, if you want chicks in 21 days it could be good, is she sitting on eggs you want to hatch ? ?

I assume the eggs she is on are fertile, if not than its not such a good thing.

If you want her to hatch those eggs, I would give her a couple more, depending on what type she is, since she will not be laying eggs for a while I would make her EARN her keep by hatching more than just 4 eggs.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Hens that are broody hrdly MOVE OFF the nest at all , regardless if there are eggs are not .

I have 1 hen setting on 4 eggs right now . I had to remove her OUT of the chicken coop and put her and her nest in a cage . Make sure she has food and water . I usually have to LIFE her off the nest and force her to eat and drink once a day .

HAD to move her , because she had gotten off nest once to eat and drink and another HEN was trying to LAY in same nest with her eggs . THATS A NO NO , esp. when I have 12 nesting boxes LOL

Back
Top Bottom