Is this bumblefoot in my pekin duck?

People often mischaracterize what Bumblefoot actually is, but Bumblefoot itself can be defined by inflammation, redness, swelling, which may or may not have a bacteria-filled necrotic plug on the dermal surface of the feet. From what I can tell, none of that is present, just cracking with some dead tissue on the edges.

I have 4 of these for my ducks. I needed her to be able to wear 2 while I washed and dried the other 2. They worked very well to help her heal. They gave her valuable padding and helped the ointment stay on her bumbles. My only complaint was that when she drank exuberantly water ran down her body and into her boots, making her foot, "pruney." If she ever gets a foot injury again I'll use the boots anyway.

$15 for a shoe feels insignificant to me compared to my duck's suffering.

Regarding the original posters question, my ducks' bumblefoot didn't look like the photo you posted.

I don't particularly see any Bumblefoot in the photo, but there is a lot of cracking going on with some necrotic tissue developing on the edges. As of now, it very prone to getting infected since the bacteria from her skin flora, and the surrounding environment can easily invade the tissue. Ducks, are a little like us in the fact that they can develop cracks on their foot when housed on hard, unforgiving environments. The picture below is taken from a human, but you can see the similarity between your photo, and the one below.

View attachment 2424622

As mentioned earlier, housing them on hard/compacted grounds can predispose them to develop this, so you really want to make sure, there run is soft, especially with heavier weight breeds since there is so much weight being applied on the footpads. Since the area is prone to getting infected, it may be suggested that you continue to soak the feet in Epsom salt water, apply ointment and bandage. How you apply the bandage is really important. You don't want to just use a thin layer of vet wrap, you want to have plenty of cushioning underneath.

Some folks use gauze, or as an alternative, you can cut in a pool noodle, and use that. Continue that process until you see improvment.
Thank you so much for the information. Would you recommend duck shoes?

I have 4 of these for my ducks. I needed her to be able to wear 2 while I washed and dried the other 2. They worked very well to help her heal. They gave her valuable padding and helped the ointment stay on her bumbles. My only complaint was that when she drank exuberantly water ran down her body and into her boots, making her foot, "pruney." If she ever gets a foot injury again I'll use the boots anyway.

$15 for a shoe feels insignificant to me compared to my duck's suffering.

Regarding the original posters question, my ducks' bumblefoot didn't look like the photo you posted.
Ok great ill get him some shoes sounds like whatever we have his foot needs to be treated.

Back
Top Bottom