Is this Cocci? **Pics**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wxdude99, Jul 8, 2010.

1. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    I have my three chicks in a big rubbermade tub. They're 5 weeks old. Yesterday morning one of them had diarrhea with blood in it. She doesn't seem too sick or anything. I didn't take any pictures of her diarrhea yesterday, but she's still has it, and I took some pictures of the droppings from a few minutes ago. It's diarrhea, but I don't see any blood in it. I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know if it's cocci. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I would think it is, but I am no expert. I always have my chicks on medicated food so (KNOCK ON WOOD) I have not seen it yet. Hopefully someone will come along who knows more that I do to help you. How are they doing today?

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    They are at that age it can show up and the poop with blood is a pretty sure sign that they have cocci. Even with medicated feed which has the amproilliam, misspelled it! they can still get it. I bought a packet of Corid at farm store and add a pinch to their drinking water and even mix it with vitamin and electrolytes and make a wet feed to encourage them to get it down.
    I recently bought 7 chicks at an auction for .20 cents each... no one wanted the poor things.. They were weak from the heat and lack of food and water. They were using their wings to hold themselves up. I got them home made up a wet mixture and drinking water for them.. Noticed the bloody droppings for a few days also.
    Now I have 7 little chipmunks who fly up out of their brooder whenever I take off cover to care for them! Nice little gray jap. duck wings and blue old english.......
    What I found was them having bloody poop is not a death sentence. Get them treated and encourage them to keep eating and drinking and they should pull out of it.... good luck!

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Corrid is the best for that! They have a liquid form you add to water. Like 14 bucks at most......................really good to have on hand!!! Cocci can be a death sentence if not treated with Corrid. It is made to treat cocci and you can find it at TSC and other feed stores

keep us posted [​IMG]

5. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    I had them on the medicated feed, but I guess she might have gotten it anyway. I'll check the TSC on my way home from work today and start using corrid (?). Thanks for your replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by