Is this coccidiosis

Thank you for responding and help.
Did I lose all chicks after hatch can be interpreted differently, so let me say of 18 eggs:
4 were Cracked (actually 1 a small area smashed but not seeping, 3 hairlines that looked like scratches but seeped in incubator)- I hatched that batch upright in egg crate, so everyone was in their own cup.
3 were Infertile
3 blood rings 1st candling,2 more in 3rd week
2 died in process of me assisting
4 died following hatch.
3 were jiggly,looked like water moving inside. I incubated and they developed, 2 died before hatch, one on target w/13% wt loss, one 2 g under) 1 hatched, was 1g above target.
I misspoke above, I think, looking back through notes, 3 were internally pipped on 9/30. I inserted air holes on 10/1, I assisted hatch on 10/2. Violet died the next day, lavender died day 5,buff day 6, dundotte 7th.
The 2 that died while assisting, they were so stuck that I was working briefly then giving a rest while going to another and rotating. One was attached to the shell still. At the time I said like umbiblical cord, but that was probably the albumin? I didn't pull it, set it back in attached and it was unattached by the time I went back to it, but dead. Both had the distended bellies, you said green, I thought looked like hemorrhage-dark purple/black, under skin. Otherwise, mushy chick is much what it sounds like. I didn't recognize fluid pockets, just distension and large dark swelling on bellies that pushed yolk to side.
Weight loss, most but the tubby who died last were on target for 13% wt loss or a tad more. Tubby was still 3 g over target. Turning was manual since in crate; the last 2 weeks though, I started tilting the incubator with a block instead of opening the unit, to keep maintained. Still was doing 7-8x a day.
I didn't see discoloration or distension on first 3 to die this week, but Tubby had a couple dark spots,and greenish distension. Tubby erupted when I picked it up. I didn't look to see if it came from vent or abdomen. I should have but was too rattled.
Yes, wash,dry hands before and after handling, have been using gloves. Incubator bleached, everything inside of brooder destroyed. I've soaked brooder x2 in heavy bleach. If I spray down with microban before another wash, do you think will be ok to use again?
Necropsy good idea, but I incinerated immediately to prevent spread elsewhere.😔

Last edited:
Thank you for responding and help.
Did I lose all chicks after hatch can be interpreted differently, so let me say of 18 eggs:
4 were Cracked (actually 1 a small area smashed but not seeping, 3 hairlines that looked like scratches but seeped in incubator)- I hatched that batch upright in egg crate, so everyone was in their own cup.
3 were Infertile
3 blood rings 1st candling,2 more in 3rd week
2 died in process of me assisting
4 died following hatch.
3 were jiggly,looked like water moving inside. I incubated and they developed, 2 died before hatch, one on target w/3% wt loss, one 2 g under) 1 hatched, was 1g above target.
I misspoke above, I think, looking back through notes, 3 were internally pipped on 9/30. I inserted air holes on 10/1, I assisted hatch on 10/2. Violet died the next day, lavender died day 5,buff day 6, dundotte 7th.
The 2 that died while assisting, they were so stuck that I was working briefly then giving a rest while going to another and rotating. One was attached to the shell still. At the time I said like umbiblical cord, but that was probably the albumin? I didn't pull it, set it back in attached and it was unattached by the time I went back to it, but dead. Both had the distended bellies, you said green, I thought looked like hemorrhage-dark purple/black, under skin. Otherwise, mushy chick is much what it sounds like. I didn't recognize fluid pockets, just distension and large dark swelling on bellies that pushed yolk to side.
Weight loss, most but the tubby who died last was on target for 13% wt loss or a tad more. Tubby was still 3 g over target. Turning was manual since in crate; the last 2 weeks though, I started tilting the incubator with a block instead of opening the unit, to keep maintained. Still was doing 7-8x a day.
I didn't see discoloration or distension on first 3 to die this week, but Tubby had a couple dark spots,and greenish distension. Tubby erupted when I picked it up. I didn't look to see if it came from vent or abdomen. I should have but was too rattled.
Yes, wash,dry hands before and after handling, have been using gloves. Incubator bleached, everything inside of brooder destroyed. I've soaked brooder x2 in heavy bleach. If I spray down with microban before another wash, do you think will be ok to use again?
Necropsy good idea, but I incinerated immediately to prevent spread elsewhere.😔
I think Tubby definitely sounded like it had an infection in the abdomen, as from omphalitis. I’m sorry you had to deal with such a dismaying condition if it’s body after it passed. Bacteria will multiply quickly in a warm environment like a brooder, so once Tubby passed away, those bacteria would be dividing like crazy and would be responsible for a loss of body wall integrity when you picked it up. Gross and sad.

I found a few articles. Interesting that the poultry DVM article suggests dipping the navel of an assisted hatch is necessary…

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis.64686/

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/chick-yolk-sac-infection-omphalitis

Sydney, what were the temps and humidity for your previous and current incubation?

I think Tubby definitely sounded like it had an infection in the abdomen, as from omphalitis. I’m sorry you had to deal with such a dismaying condition if it’s body after it passed. Bacteria will multiply quickly in a warm environment like a brooder, so once Tubby passed away, those bacteria would be dividing like crazy and would be responsible for a loss of body wall integrity when you picked it up. Gross and sad.

I found a few articles. Interesting that the poultry DVM article suggests dipping the navel of an assisted hatch is necessary…

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis.64686/

Sydney, what were the temps and humidity for your previous and current incubation?
Previous as in this past one? Temp 99.5 humidity 35-40% fluctuation, lockdown 65%.
Previous as in in the past -last ones were in Brinsea w/Blu & Bella's last eggs; I staggered 2 batches, pulled out failed from 1st and added her last ones. I was fighting with it to maintain 99.5 & 35%. Temp kept dropping on the last batch so much I nearly had it mumified in tape

Current batch incubating is 99.5 42%. This and last batch are in nuture right 360; brinsea as well as cheap model not worth messing with pitched.

Previous as in this past one? Temp 99.5 humidity 35-40% fluctuation, lockdown 65%.
Previous as in in the past -last ones were in Brinsea w/Blu & Bella's last eggs; I staggered 2 batches, pulled out failed from 1st and added her last ones. I was fighting with it to maintain 99.5 & 35%. Temp kept dropping on the last batch so much I nearly had it mumified in tape

Current batch incubating is 99.5 42%. This and last batch are in nuture right 360; brinsea as well as cheap model not worth messing with pitched.
Didn't finish my thought- first batch of Bella's started w/5, removed 2, 3 hatched. Added those last 4, 2 hatched. Not great, but nothing like this.

Just finished 1st article- no one's belly looked like THAT. Not that big, no loose edemic skin. It was tight, full. Umbilicals didn't look like that, but vent was def distended as one pic showed. Violet and Lavender didn't show symptoms, they just died. Buff had the diarrhea and discharge from vent, no distension. Heat seeking, yes. But food and water seeking, too. Lacking interest? 🤷‍♀️ it was a cuddle bug, it wanted to be close. Off to 2nd article - I'm convinced this was it,even if every s/s didn't present. You know I'd have been dinging you guys relentlessly if their bellies looked like that.:eek: - since the 1st 2 had no s/s and the other 2 presented at the same time..😔
You said chlorhexadine, right? That article said iodine. Whichever is best and safest will be in 1st aid kit before next hatch. Creating list now.

Just finished 1st article- no one's belly looked like THAT. Not that big, no loose edemic skin. It was tight, full. Umbilicals didn't look like that, but vent was def distended as one pic showed. Violet and Lavender didn't show symptoms, they just died. Buff had the diarrhea and discharge from vent, no distension. Heat seeking, yes. But food and water seeking, too. Lacking interest? 🤷‍♀️ it was a cuddle bug, it wanted to be close. Off to 2nd article - I'm convinced this was it,even if every s/s didn't present. You know I'd have been dinging you guys relentlessly if their bellies looked like that.:eek: - since the 1st 2 had no s/s and the other 2 presented at the same time..😔
You said chlorhexadine, right? That article said iodine. Whichever is best and safest will be in 1st aid kit before next hatch. Creating list now.

I feel like the images in the article are more extreme than what it usually looks like but the yolk coming out after it had been fully absorbed is another symptom so I think it's likely bacterial related.

I 100% recommend chlorhexidine over iodine for chicks. It's way more gentle and it's even in some mouthwash.

I feel like the images in the article are more extreme than what it usually looks like but the yolk coming out after it had been fully absorbed is another symptom so I think it's likely bacterial related.

I 100% recommend chlorhexidine over iodine for chicks. It's way more gentle and it's e

Thank you for your help, @CluckNDoodle @Mixed flock enthusiast @R2elk
I appreciate it more than you know. None of my yolks came OUT, they were just shoved to the left side of abdomen..unless that white creamy gunk was yolk, but it wasn't the color or consistency of yolk?

Thank you for your help, @CluckNDoodle @Mixed flock enthusiast @R2elk
I appreciate it more than you know. None of my yolks came OUT, they were just shoved to the left side of abdomen..unless that white creamy gunk was yolk, but it wasn't the color or consistency of yolk?

Oh ok, I must have read that wrong then. Sorry about that! I've had a very busy day and I'm definitely missing bits, lol.

I did see the picture of the gunk and it's not something I've ever seen before myself. It almost looked like vent gleet but I've never heard of chicks getting that.

It's definitely a perplexing situation and I hope your next hatch goes much better!

Oh ok, I must have read that wrong then. Sorry about that! I've had a very busy day and I'm definitely missing bits, lol.

I did see the picture of the gunk and it's not something I've ever seen before myself. It almost looked like vent gleet but I've never heard of chicks getting that.

It's definitely a perplexing situation and I hope your next hatch goes much better!
Totally understand, and vent gleet was exactly what I thought, but everything I researched said not that young. Thanks again!

Oh no! I’m sorry My2butterflies! Everyone works so hard to get the keets, it’s devastating when they don’t do well! I’m hoping for a quick recovery for your keets!!! :fl :fl
Thank you. It has been very heartbreaking. I’ll have to post an update on them.
Thankfully things are going good now for the ones left. I think I’m going to do what Sydney did and make a first aid kit just for hatched and brooded keets.

Back
Top Bottom