Is this coccidiosis

This crack wasn't exactly minimal either but I applied the nail polish on day one and you can see the pip in the last picture. ;) Worked like a charm!

6-3-20 (3).JPG
6-3-20 Ducky.JPG
6-24-20.JPG

In the case with the cracks that makes sense though, that's the albumen rather than seepage from bacteria. There are several things that can be used to seal cracks and I've used many, but the leaky cracks are the most worrisome simply because that usually means they split through the membrane. On the flip side, I've had eggs with a little bit of dried albumen on the exterior of the shell because the hen was old and appeared to have leaked egg white through the porous shell. I think that was part of my "undesirable egg experiment" I'll go check.

Yep! In case you were wondering, lol.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-aka-the-undesirable-egg-experiment.1349529/
Crackle is what I found on delivery, no leakage, but on the opposite end. I just didn't think it redeemable & more of a hazard. 😔
Your Sticky didn't appear to be cracked..although neither did mine until after the sticky appeared.

I'm officially in love with Rocket, that pic snuggling the egg and the one of Sticky's face when the other toppled out ontop of her could be cash cows on posters and greeting cards.:gig
Sigh..Himself insists NO CHICKENS. One guy that picked up keets from me this summer asked, "you only have one kind of bird? What's wrong with you??!"
I did a weigh in and candle this a.m. A lot of my jigglers are firming up. Some are now saddled air cells, but atleast definable. I took #2 out - the scrambled one. That leaves of 17, 5 that I have (?) next to, bc I wasn't seeing movement but veins still intact. The other 12 are quite active. We're on day 13 of 28, I figured 13% weight loss to be 94.64g, and we're at 49g. :fl
Liquid Bandaid or New Skin are both sealants and antiseptics. Not sure re poultry, but they're used on turtle eggs...

Yeah, after candling the crack went a LONG way. I never should have tried to save it but I had already committed at the point I had realized it was a bad idea. 😅
I've had great success hatching cracked eggs with nail polish and I have some liquid bandage on hand now that I plan on using the next time I find a cracked egg. lol
Have you managed to hatch from any eggs that were cracked when set? I’ve hatched a few that were cracked by a broody late in development, but I haven’t even tried to set any undeveloped cracked eggs…

Crackle is what I found on delivery, no leakage, but on the opposite end. I just didn't think it redeemable & more of a hazard. 😔
Your Sticky didn't appear to be cracked..although neither did mine until after the sticky appeared.

I'm officially in love with Rocket, that pic snuggling the egg and the one of Sticky's face when the other toppled out ontop of her could be cash cows on posters and greeting cards.:gig
Sigh..Himself insists NO CHICKENS. One guy that picked up keets from me this summer asked, "you only have one kind of bird? What's wrong with you??!"
I did a weigh in and candle this a.m. A lot of my jigglers are firming up. Some are now saddled air cells, but atleast definable. I took #2 out - the scrambled one. That leaves of 17, 5 that I have (?) next to, bc I wasn't seeing movement but veins still intact. The other 12 are quite active. We're on day 13 of 28, I figured 13% weight loss to be 94.64g, and we're at 49g. :fl
Liquid Bandaid or New Skin are both sealants and antiseptics. Not sure re poultry, but they're used on turtle eggs...
Sounds encouraging Sydney! :pop

Have you managed to hatch from any eggs that were cracked when set? I’ve hatched a few that were cracked by a broody late in development, but I haven’t even tried to set any undeveloped cracked eggs…

Yes! The golden glitter baby was cracked in shipment on the way to me and I decided to repair it and set it anyway! :)

Lol..I've officially freaked Sunbeam out. I had read many entries to how to use heating pad in brooder. One had put the heating pad in a zip lock bag to keep it clean. 🤔 Now, I liked the concept, but questioned the safety, so before I attempted it, I sent an email asking, explaining it was an off-label use. I know it was silly to ask, I've witnessed the reaction to "if I use an extension cord,..." My main concerned was if being in a sealed bag would cause it to overheat. ANYway....
I just received an email from corporate explaining to me why heating pads should not be used for animals and only by ppl capable of understanding their use. :gig :gig

Lol..I've officially freaked Sunbeam out. I had read many entries to how to use heating pad in brooder. One had put the heating pad in a zip lock bag to keep it clean. 🤔 Now, I liked the concept, but questioned the safety, so before I attempted it, I sent an email asking, explaining it was an off-label use. I know it was silly to ask, I've witnessed the reaction to "if I use an extension cord,..." My main concerned was if being in a sealed bag would cause it to overheat. ANYway....
I just received an email from corporate explaining to me why heating pads should not be used for animals and only by ppl capable of understanding their use. :gig :gig
They have no idea the market they are missing.

Back
Top Bottom