Is this coop/run size alright?

Chewbagawk

Chirping
May 15, 2015
Central California - Bay Area
Hey everyone,
I am currently in the planning stage of building my chicken coop, and I wanted to get other people's opinions on how many chickens I should get.
Currently I am thinking of a 8' x 4.5' x 6' (LxWxH) run (extends under elevated coop) and a 3.5' x 4.5' x 4' coop. My measurements could always increase by a foot or so, but this is my optimal yard size to coop size ratio.
I was planning on getting no more than 6 chickens, probably less based on the current size standard (4 and 10 square footage rules) I do like the idea of getting 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 RIRs, and 2 Barred Rocks so I could get a good feel for which breed I like most, but I will get fewer if necessary.
Is this size ok for that many chickens? They would only spend the night in the coop, and would spend most of the day in the run and supervised visits outside of the run.

Last edited:
The coop is not sustainable for 6 chickens especially since Orpington and barred are a larger chicken. 6 chickens on a 4.5' roost at night is very cramped. Extend the width to 5' and only get 4 chickens (in my opinion). Maybe even extend the length of the coop to 5'.
- clark

Thanks for your input! I really am just estimating the size of my run/coop since I am not 100% sure how much space I have. For all I know I can make the run+coop 12' long, extend the width to 5', and have a 6' long coop within the run. I was a bit conservative I think. I have a couple trees and weeds to clear out, afterwards I'll have my exact dimensions. Thanks again!

Go as big as you can....you won't regret it.

What is your climate?
Putting your location in your profile will help folks give more viable suggestions.

K
Hey everyone,
I am currently in the planning stage of building my chicken coop, and I wanted to get other people's opinions on how many chickens I should get.
Currently I am thinking of a 8' x 4.5' x 6' (LxWxH) run (extends under elevated coop) and a 3.5' x 4.5' x 4' coop. My measurements could always increase by a foot or so, but this is my optimal yard size to coop size ratio.
I was planning on getting no more than 6 chickens, probably less based on the current size standard (4 and 10 square footage rules) I do like the idea of getting 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 RIRs, and 2 Barred Rocks so I could get a good feel for which breed I like most, but I will get fewer if necessary.
Is this size ok for that many chickens? They would only spend the night in the coop, and would spend most of the day in the run and supervised visits outside of the run.
what's your climate? If you live in really warm weather, the coop COULD be ok, but it would only be ok if they had a massive run, or free range.

We have 6 chickens, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Black Sex Links & 1 Australorp (we think!) Our coop is a walk-in, 8' x 18' with 8' walls, probably 10' in center, 8' x 9' is used for chicken living. The roost is across the 8' back wall. Nesting boxes are off the floor about 18" so they don't take up floor space. The run is 8' x 16'.

I'm so glad we have that space, our breeds will be pretty good size when grown and even now at 8 weeks use all the space. It's amazing how quickly they grow and how big they actually get. When we first moved them out to the coop they seemed so tiny and the coop so big. But they grew into it quickly.

I would go as big as space allows and/or get fewer chickens.

Oh yeah of course, I forgot to say where I live! Don't really think of weather because I live in the Bay Area part of Califonia. It's never too dry or too humid, the maximum low I've ever seen is about 30 degrees Fahrenheit and the maximum high is about 105 degrees Farenheit.

Oh yeah of course, I forgot to say where I live! Don't really think of weather because I live in the Bay Area part of Califonia. It's never too dry or too humid, the maximum low I've ever seen is about 30 degrees Fahrenheit and the maximum high is about 105 degrees Farenheit.
Then I think you would b fine with a smaller coop as long as they have shade, water, and plenty of space out of it

Saltandpepper, for reference it would look like the "Bluegrass Coop" by MisterChicken, with the coop elevated a couple feet or so. The coop itself would be about 3' x 4.5' x 4', but I'm trying to extend that to about 4-5' x 5' x 4' but I'm fighting a couple dead trees, pool equipment, and a fence. The run, probably maximum space of 11' x 5' x 6' but I won't know until I clear that area out.

Back
Top Bottom