Is this duck coop ok?

skiltie

Hatching
May 25, 2020
My 2 ducks (Rouen & Indian Runner) are almost ready to be transitioned to outside. I’ve spent countless hours working on their coop & am in the process of finishing up the pen by adding grass & a little pond. Is it ok that they don’t have anything above them (fencing)... they’ll be in the coop at night but during the day I was planning on letting them roam around in their pen. Their pen is located inside of our fenced in backyard & is about 30 feet from the house. I have never seen any kind of predator inside the fence but they’ve also never had a reason to be... I just want to make sure that I am doing what is best for them. Is there any chance that during the day a predator would try to come that close to our house? I’m not as worried about bigger birds as it’s so close to the house, but are raccoons something that would attempt to climb this fencing during the day? Thank you in advance. Also want to note that it’s not completely finished yet!!!

Attachments

• FB616ECC-5B1A-4EA2-B8CD-D7C58852033A.jpeg
    FB616ECC-5B1A-4EA2-B8CD-D7C58852033A.jpeg
    862.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 493D8FFE-3653-4B2E-9AE8-C3B914166BD7.jpeg
    493D8FFE-3653-4B2E-9AE8-C3B914166BD7.jpeg
    901.3 KB · Views: 10
My 2 ducks (Rouen & Indian Runner) are almost ready to be transitioned to outside. I’ve spent countless hours working on their coop & am in the process of finishing up the pen by adding grass & a little pond. Is it ok that they don’t have anything above them (fencing)... they’ll be in the coop at night but during the day I was planning on letting them roam around in their pen. Their pen is located inside of our fenced in backyard & is about 30 feet from the house. I have never seen any kind of predator inside the fence but they’ve also never had a reason to be... I just want to make sure that I am doing what is best for them. Is there any chance that during the day a predator would try to come that close to our house? I’m not as worried about bigger birds as it’s so close to the house, but are raccoons something that would attempt to climb this fencing during the day? Thank you in advance. Also want to note that it’s not completely finished yet!!!
What a lovely duck coop! I, personally, have my ducks free ranging all day long once I let them out. They are locked up in their coop at night. I have a fenced in area for them to forage in and a pool for them to swim in. I haven't had any raccoons try to get in during the day but I have caught one trying to get in their coop at night. I also lost a duck to an owl in the evening time. My area may not be the same as yours. It just depends on your area. I've never owned a Runner so I am not familiar with that breed so I don't know how they are with flying. I do have Rouen and they can't get over my woven fencing that I have up. I sure do wish you with best of luck with your sweet webbies! I know I love mine to pieces.

Back
Top Bottom