Is this duck okay?

Despite Karen showing Pigeon who's boss, she still seems terrified of Penguin. I usually have Puffin and Karen in a coop together, but for the past few days Puffin just went into the other coop with Penguin and Pigeon at night leaving Karen all alone. Now Puffin and Penguin are both broody in the other coop, and I am thinking of trying to move Karen and her nest into the other coop with them. I think it will either go one of two ways, 1. Penguin will be too busy nesting to care about harrassing Karen, or 2. Penguin just attacks Karen even more because she is invading her nesting space. Any thoughts? I might try it and just keep a very close eye on things, I feel bad with Karen in her coop all alone.

Believe me Karen won't mind being in the coop by herself while broody.

I just had to put 3 of my Muscovy girls into another coop for night because the 4th is picking on them. She has become the favorite of the drake and wants to flunt it.
Alright thanks for the response I guess I'll just leave her, it's just awkward because the 2nd coop didn't fit through my fence gate so while she's in there I have to keep the gate open and that always makes me extra worried about predators. Also is there any point that I should try to break her broodyness? Or should I just let her sit on them until she realizes they are not fertile

You can try to break her, Boy are they stubborn. Last I tried I took my girl out closed the door so she couldn't get back in she spent most of the day hanging on the hardware cloth on the door. After a few days I just said what the heck I went in changed out bedding adding new and let her inside. Se finally gave up on her own. Main thing is making sure they come out at least one time a day to eat drink and bath . Can you close the door to her coop for night time protection. That would worry me too at night.

Se finally gave up on her own. Main thing is making sure they come out at least one time a day to eat drink and bath . Can you close the door to her coop for night time protection. That would worry me too at night.
Yeah I always close her coop door at night, she has food and water in her coop so she has not been coming out at all. I haven't seen her willingly come out a single time, but I have kicked her out a few times to make her bath. The problem is, getting her out of the coop is completely impossible without getting covered in a disgusting extra smelly extra large broody poop. Any suggestions? I haven't been able to get her off the nest any way other than picking her up, they sure turn into immovable rocks while they are laying.

Woo-hoo! I finally got them to all peacefully share the same coop!!
They've all been in the coop for 4 days now, there was trouble on the first day but penguin spent a night in jail and she hasn't caused trouble since. I always go into the coop at night the day that I change the bedding and just hang out with the ducks for awhile, Karen was not a fan of me being in there. But it was pretty dark, and at one point Karen was sitting in the nesting box next to me, Pigeon was on my lap and Pigeon started preening Karen. After that I started petting Karen and she was just relaxing and enjoying it for 3 or 4 minutes, until she realized it was me and not Pigeon and then she started completely freaking out and ran away 🤣😅

Very sad news... when I opened the coop this morning and all of the ducks came out, it looks like Karen had a pretty rough night 😔
She is missing a lot of her neck feathers and she has a bloody patch on her leg. I can only assume Penguin is to blame.. it made me so sad to see her like this because they have been together in the coop now for a couple of weeks with no issues. Why did she do this now? Is it hormonal? I'm definitely gonna put Penguin in Jail at night time for the next few days. I put some neosporin on her leg for now not sure if there is anything else I should do. I ordered a camera so I can set it up inside the coop.

Attachments

• 20210410_105907.jpg
    20210410_105907.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210410_105331.jpg
    20210410_105331.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Okay so I've been trying to get them to play nice in the coop for a few days. It is very odd, I bought a camera and put it in the coop so I can watch them, and they are good for a long time but for the past 2 nights in a row at 1 am exactly penguin just started attacking Karen, both times I went out there as quick as I could and put Penguin in Jail. I'm not really sure, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Is the fact that it happened at the exact same time just a coincidence? Because it literally happened at the exact same time almost down to the second both nights. Right as it went from 12:59 to 1 am. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated, I really need them to all peacefully share a coop.

Bumping this because i need some help. Last night I was watching them on the camera till 2 am, and they were fine so I went to sleep, but by the time I woke back up Penguin was attacking Karen again 😔
Worse this time, some of the caruncles on Karen's face were bloody and both of her feet looked like her 1 did last time. At this point I'm definitely going to have penguin sleeping alone for at least a week, but long term I really need them to all peacefully share a coop all night, and I'm not sure how. The only thing I can really think of is building a 100% predator proof run so that I can leave the coop open at night and Karen can leave, but it will definitely be awhile before I have enough money to do that.

I haven't the foggiest as to why they single one female out but right now I have 2 of my Muscovy females sleeping in a separate coop from the rest. Both of these girls are the lowest Ruth who is 14 and Joy who will soon be 9. So far Hope and Dolly and my drake Opie are doing okay together. But that can change fast with these girls. Usually by end of summer things start winding down and they can all be together again. It's been this way in the past anyway.

Back
Top Bottom