1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this egg fertile? (pics)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Poliwag, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    [​IMG]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are pictures of the same egg.
    It's hard to get a good picture.
    It's a first egg. Is it fertile?

[​IMG]

2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

seems the age of the egg is old enough, perhaps more than 5 days, i'm not sure.

better let expert to check it.

3. Poliwag

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:5 days? I just got it today o.o

4. mulia24

well, then i assume the egg is fertile, but, it always good to wait for the expert to start talking. [​IMG]

and, for the most certainty, simply set it inside bator for 3 days, if vein appear than the egg is fertile, that's the best way i've found out.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It looks like #3 shows the fertile bulls-eye. It's always hard to tell from pictures though. If you do a search for Speckledhen and fertile egg pictures you should come up with some really good ones that she posted a little while back.

ETA: I found the line-- https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  6. Poliwag

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:One small problem... I broke open the egg [​IMG]
    My chooks are 7 months (30 weeks) old and I am not sure if my rooster has been doing his "thing" yet.
    If it is fertile, the next egg I get is going in the incubator.
    I had to, sadly, give away my rooster due to a neighbor... but the eggs should be fertile for a month or so after he is gone.

7. mulia24

well, i mean that the scrambled one isn't included into bator test. [​IMG]

true, the egg produced by hen will still fertile for more than 2 weeks, great creature they're. [​IMG]

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:At 7 months I'm sure he's been doing his job. I wouldn't count on 4 weeks of fertility though. They can be fertile for up to 4 weeks so you want to wait that long before you sell/hatch eggs that you want from a particular roo. I'm pretty sure fertility will drop significantly after 1-2 weeks though.

9. Poliwag

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:At 7 months I'm sure he's been doing his job. I wouldn't count on 4 weeks of fertility though. They can be fertile for up to 4 weeks so you want to wait that long before you sell/hatch eggs that you want from a particular roo. I'm pretty sure fertility will drop significantly after 1-2 weeks though.

Well, I wasn't sure exactly how long... should be long enough for me to be able to hatch my rooster's babies [​IMG]

10. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Yes, that egg is definitely fertile.
    EDIT: Note the donut around the white spot.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by