Is this egg fertile???

I have a really cheap incubator and I have no idea what the humidity is but I have the temp set at 37.5°C it has a fan and I have been turning the eggs religiously at 6 & 12 incriminates. I have never incubated eggs but have a duck sanctuary with hundreds of wild ducks and my domestic ducks. I will be heartbroken if none of these eggs are fertile

I have a really cheap incubator and I have no idea what the humidity is but I have the temp set at 37.5°C it has a fan and I have been turning the eggs religiously at 6 & 12 incriminates. I have never incubated eggs but have a duck sanctuary with hundreds of wild ducks and my domestic ducks. I will be heartbroken if none of these eggs are fertile
well the egg you cracked open was fertile so there is still hope

the eggs should be on their side for incubation and turning 3+ times/day, make sure to turn an odd number of times per day

temp is good so long as you are SURE it is accurate

your humidity should be around 35 %, amazon has hygro/thermo combinations for <$10, just make sure to calibrate
Calibration is a MUST: HOW TO CALIBRATE post #262

you will want to keep an eye on your air cell to see if you humidity is good, or weigh the eggs
Weighing Eggs, why and HOW TO! post #70097
airsac.jpg

this is where your aircell should be on certain days

candle on d10, d15, d20, and d24 to check for lockdown

DO NOT TOSS ANY EGGS UNLESS THEY SMELL(ROTTEN) it is VERY obvious
i do not pull any until lockdown unless they smell

Next question is will it hurt to transfer the other eggs to a different incubator? I ordered a mu h better one that auto turns and show humidity levels, the one I have is a mini incubator and and I am not happy with the fact that the eggs sit straight up in it. I have never put this much thought into anything and what to be educated. All my babies I currently have are usually rescued from families who saw cute ducklings, bought them and then didn't want them so I bring them to my house. I am trying to do what's best... I appreciate all your good advice...

Next question is will it hurt to transfer the other eggs to a different incubator? I ordered a mu h better one that auto turns and show humidity levels, the one I have is a mini incubator and and I am not happy with the fact that the eggs sit straight up in it. I have never put this much thought into anything and what to be educated. All my babies I currently have are usually rescued from families who saw cute ducklings, bought them and then didn't want them so I bring them to my house. I am trying to do what's best... I appreciate all your good advice...
should be fine to move, BUT remember NEVER trust the readings an incubator tells you you MUST calibrate

I have cooked DOZENS of eggs by trusting the incubator

Quote:
All the same brand. All read the same a month ago. All in the same conditions for the past week. All read different.
I also will be investing in a thermometer with tenths digits to compare to my thermostat.

My temperature is not correct in this crappy incubator. I can tell when I turn the eggs that there is a significant difference in warmth with the ones in the front verses the one's in the back. Trial and error, I'm slowly learning about all this. Thanks for all the great advice.

My temperature is not correct in this crappy incubator. I can tell when I turn the eggs that there is a significant difference in warmth with the ones in the front verses the one's in the back. Trial and error, I'm slowly learning about all this. Thanks for all the great advice.
do you rotate them when you turn them? most incubators have hot/cold spots which can greatly influence your hatch rate

LL

Yes I have been rotating the eggs, this morning they all seemed to be equally warm. I am praying that my new incubator comes today so I can transfer them... I have no idea what I am doing and appreciate all the help. If I get one good hatch it will be a miracle at this point.

Yes I have been rotating the eggs, this morning they all seemed to be equally warm. I am praying that my new incubator comes today so I can transfer them... I have no idea what I am doing and appreciate all the help. If I get one good hatch it will be a miracle at this point.
you arent that far into the incubation, there is still time, make sure the incubator is set up and and has time to get going and acclimated before you add the eggs, also make sure to add heat sinks (they help to decrease temp fluctuations and if the power goes out to keep it warm)

REMEMBER this is an off season for ducks right now, so the fact that you even got fertile eggs is AMAZING, they usually stop laying for the winter

Back
Top Bottom